Yet another 'what GPU should I buy?' thread

The BEST bang for the buck right now is the 290, at current pricing it is close enough to the 290X to not matter and while a bit behind the 780Ti, not enough for the price difference.

The 290 delivers great play at 1440, I am running quite a few games on one right now and does it at a great price. Right now the Sapphire Tri-X is going for 435 and the Vapor X for $470. Both are super quiet and cool.

The BEST bang for the buck right now is the 290, at current pricing it is close enough to the 290X to not matter and while a bit behind the 780Ti, not enough for the price difference.

The 290 delivers great play at 1440, I am running quite a few games on one right now and does it at a great price. Right now the Sapphire Tri-X is going for 435 and the Vapor X for $470. Both are super quiet and cool.

I hear ya, but when the XFX 290X is only 499 on newegg, the 290x isn't that much of a jump up.

I hear ya, but when the XFX 290X is only 499 on newegg, the 290x isn't that much of a jump up.

Actually it is $540 on Newegg right now as I looked. However why pay more for little performance gain, warmer operation and louder :-)

I can tell you I have both a 290 and 290X and do not see any need for the extra cost of the 290X, Now if I was running more than 1440 maybe but for 1440 the gain is not enough for the price.

Ah, I see that! As of last night it was $499. Prices are fluctuating it seems. 

So am I sensing that I should avoid the 770 if possible?

Pretty much, if you're going to go budget/high performance, get the 280X

Well, everyone, thought I would provide and update! I happened to be by my friendly neighborhood MicroCenter, and I picked up the Gigabyte 4GB R9 290 for $409 with 3 free games. This thing is amazing, it plays Watch Dogs flawlessly! Couldn't be happier. Thanks for your input!

Sounds like a really good deal!   Oh btw I got that 780 on ebay, it was new from a ebay store front, don't remember the name.  But for THAT price AND free games!...you got a good deal there for sure.