Help to upgrade my old geezer?

Knight_72 - you are incorrect about the amount needed for that game. "minimum requirements" for that game is 4GB.

walterg74 - SSD's are amazing compared to HDD's especially nowadays as they have had much time to develop.

- don't worry about vibration/bangs/drops. you can still murda them, but nowhere as easily as a tradional HDD

- they don't need to be defragged, its seek time is astronomical compared to a HDD

- they consume less power to operate

- access times, load times for ALL applications , not just windows

(BTW Fight Game, not entirely true. for people who have scheduled anti-virus sweeps, Auto-Matic Updates and such can make a decrease in game performance , especially if you are just pushing the minimum to run the game)

Sinze you are gaming @ 1920x1080 I would first just upgrade my videocard, see how much of an impact that makes, and if you still  want to go further, i'm on the same ship as Bosco, Next stop RAM

SSD's are the current future of HDD's Only downside is the Price2Size Ratio, which is MUCH less than it has been, but still much more expensive than traditional drives.

Knight_72 - you are incorrect about the amount needed for that game. "minimum requirements" for that game is 4GB.

Hi,

The specs from "leaked" reports early last year may not be the same as the official specs released after the Watch Dogs delay. This is perhaps why you may have seen 4Gb as the minimum in those incorrect reports.

These are the official Steam Minimum Specifications : (Note the Phenom II X4 940 and 6Gb RAM)

Specs.PNG

And these are confirmation of the minimum specs by creative director Jonathan Morin in early March after the delay :

Specs 2.PNG

Specs 3.PNG

So I am confident that it is 6Gb of RAM as the minimum.

That being said, Call of Duty Ghosts was also 6Gb minimum but that was lowered after release...

Somehow I doubt all the future games will require 6Gb, but it is very likely that  future "next gen only" games like Witcher 3 and the next Assassins Creed will require 6Gb.

I also saw the OP posted about an AM2+ issue.

It seems with 1066MHz DDR2 RAM that you can only use one DIMM per channel hence only 2x2Gb or 2x4Gb.

I see three possible options

- Either skip upgrading the RAM and stick to a powerful GPU with an SSD and hope that games keep requiring 4Gb as the minimum 

- Downclock your current 1066MHz DDR2 RAM to 800MHz and add more 800MHz DDR2 RAM this circumventing the 1066MHz issue

- Try find a 2x4Gb 1066MHz DDR2 kit which will also avoid the problem

Hope this helps :)

yes, if you purposely try to thrash your hard drive while gaming, an ssd will help.  When I game though, I make sure nothing else is going on, and sometimes put my antivirus in gaming mode, virtually disabling it

Hi,

The specs from "leaked" reports early last year may not be the same as the official specs released after the Watch Dogs delay. This is perhaps why you may have seen 4Gb as the minimum in those incorrect reports.

These are the official Steam Minimum Specifications : (Note the Phenom II X4 940 and 6Gb RAM)

attachicon.gifSpecs.PNG

And these are confirmation of the minimum specs by creative director Jonathan Morin in early March after the delay :

attachicon.gifSpecs 2.PNG

attachicon.gifSpecs 3.PNG

That being said, Call of Duty Ghosts was also 6Gb minimum but that was lowered after release...

Somehow I doubt all the future games will require 6Gb, but it is very likely that  future "next gen only" games like Witcher 3 and the next Assassins Creed will require 6Gb.

It seems with 1066MHz DDR2 RAM that you can only use one DIMM per channel hence only 2x2Gb or 2x4Gb.

- Either skip upgrading the RAM and stick to a powerful GPU with an SSD and hope that games keep requiring 4Gb as the minimum 

- Downclock your current 1066MHz DDR2 RAM to 800MHz and add more 800MHz DDR2 RAM this circumventing the 1066MHz issue

Speaking of specs, I recently bought a physical copy of Titanfall, which should be arriving soon, and I don't quite get the following:

On the game site, they list as the min requirements:

Radeon HD4770 (for amd boards)

Direct X 11

So how can this be..? That card doesn't support DX11 in hardware according to what I searched... Might they just mean what SOFTWARE version they require of DX??? It has to either be that or the card has to be another. I mean even my old 4870 is a couple of tiers higher than that one! ( meaning if tru I could run that game? Woo hoo! :P)

Hi,

attachicon.gifSpecs.PNG

attachicon.gifSpecs 2.PNG

attachicon.gifSpecs 3.PNG

Speaking of specs, I recently bought a physical copy of Titanfall, which should be arriving soon, and I don't quite get the following:

On the game site, they list as the min requirements:

Radeon HD4770 (for amd boards)

Direct X 11

So how can this be..? That card doesn't support DX11 in hardware according to what I searched... Might they just mean what SOFTWARE version they require of DX??? It has to either be that or the card has to be another. I mean even my old 4870 is a couple of tiers higher than that one! ( meaning if tru I could run that game? Woo hoo! :P)

I think listing DX11 is an error on EA's side. That's what the consensus is on the EA Help Forums.

If a DX11 card was listed as the minimum then it would be DX11 only, but considering it lists an 8800GT and HD4770 then it cannot be DX11 only.

I see you said you already bought it, I'm pretty sure you will be able to run it :)

I think listing DX11 is an error on EA's side. That's what the consensus is on the EA Help Forums.

If a DX11 card was listed as the minimum then it would be DX11 only, but considering it lists an 8800GT and HD4770 then it cannot be DX11 only.

I see you said you already bought it, I'm pretty sure you will be able to run it :)

Yeah, got it on last Amazon DoTD, for $36.99, should be here tomorrow or Friday :)

While I didn't know if it would run (actually thought it wouldn't) I still had the upgrade in plan, so eventually... :)

Now I'm thinking if my laptop would run it.. :P   Don't think so though, video isn't good enough... Got an irony there, compare to my desktop,  CPU is more powerful (i7 3632QM) but the video card while decent for a laptop for mild gaming, is a less powerful Radeon 7730M 2GB  (curiosly this one does support DX11 :) )