New Gun

Onion

I've not personally had a magazine lose its 'springiness' from being kept loaded but I've heard of it happening or at least bringing out a manufacturing default sooner than keeping one unloaded would have.

That being said, if you were planning on storing a magazine for 5+ years untouched I would personally leave them unloaded, but any other time I'd keep them loaded.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ductility and malleability are two possible properties of metals. Its not because its metal that it is ductile or malleable or both, though, it depends on the specific metal. 

Ductility and malleability are two possible properties of metals. Its not because its metal that it is ductile or malleable or both, though, it depends on the specific metal.

Mhmm, a specific alloy creates the ability to withstand the pressures of modern cartridges.

If they weren't new alloys they would not have the required ductility, maleability and strength to withstand the pressure, and therefore shatter/burst.

Happily, I don't have to worry about that again. Unless my cylinder can lose its springiness from being loaded for too long. :lol:

Might not in the way you are thinking, but the spring that cycles the cylinder might. We had an old .22 revolver that was rather worn and the cylinder and barrel did not line up very well. You had to hold it and hope your fingers didn't burn while you did.

Oh and +1 to what andrew and dan said. Metal does have a form of elasticity, other wise your gun would blow up in your face.It would be like building a gun out of glass if it didn't.

Springs don't wear out by being left compressed or uncompressed.  The actual process of compression is what wears them out.  If you were to unload your magazine every night in the hopes of making it last longer you'd actually be making it wear out faster than if you left it loaded all the time.