GTX 780 sli affecting 4770k temps?

beastineden

even at 2560x1440? lol ubersampling on? 

Ok, got me there :P

Ubersampling might be a bit much at 2560x1440, but why would you enable it when you are already playing at such a high resolution?

Jaggies will be a thing of the past at 2560x1440 if you monitor is anything decent, so ubersampling isn't really needed imo.

And i still think two GTX780 could take that like a baws, maybe not solid 60fps, but playable for sure.

I plan to OC at around 100hz. Hopefully i get a 100% dead-pixel-free panel and can get the fps to 60 and above for most games.

Unless you play competitive like e-sports (league of legends for example), i wouldn't recommend to oc a monitor.

60 fps is smooth to the bone and you know your monitor wont get funky as the years go by.

I know it has yet to be proven that overclocking the refresh rate is bad for the monitor, but why take the risk and overclock it, when it is not really that useful for everyday use?

just my 2 cents ;P

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

even at 2560x1440? lol ubersampling on? 

Ok, got me there :P

Ubersampling might be a bit much at 2560x1440, but why would you enable it when you are already playing at such a high resolution?

Jaggies will be a thing of the past at 2560x1440 if you monitor is anything decent, so ubersampling isn't really needed imo.

And i still think two GTX780 could take that like a baws, maybe not solid 60fps, but playable for sure.

I plan to OC at around 100hz. Hopefully i get a 100% dead-pixel-free panel and can get the fps to 60 and above for most games.

Unless you play competitive like e-sports (league of legends for example), i wouldn't recommend to oc a monitor.

60 fps is smooth to the bone and you know your monitor wont get funky as the years go by.

I know it has yet to be proven that overclocking the refresh rate is bad for the monitor, but why take the risk and overclock it, when it is not really that useful for everyday use?

just my 2 cents ;P

Damn your logic lol

if your hitting 90c with a h100 than something is wrong. If you are overclocked you should be in the 70-80c range (4.2-4.5ghz). It's could be a few things i'll list out below

1: not pump not seated properly

2: not enough thermal paste or  too much (this ones weird, but it could be the problem, but unlikely)

3: going above 1.2v on the vcore will cause 90c temps

4. fans on the h100 is set on low

5. h100 is bad (doubtful)

edit: you should be able to get at lest 4.2ghz out of 1.2v vcore, some chips need more to go higher, but thats when the heat starts to really kick in so avoid going over 1.2v unless you like high temps. Also I would only trust Prime95 when it comes to stress test. Those other programs like to go to the extreme and way beyond real world preference.

if your hitting 90c with a h100 than something is wrong. If you are overclocked you should be in the 70-80c range (4.2-4.5ghz). It's could be a few things i'll list out below

2: not enough thermal paste or  too much (this ones weird, but it could be the problem, but unlikely)

edit: you should be able to get at lest 4.2ghz out of 1.2v vcore, some chips need more to go higher, but thats when the heat starts to really kick in so avoid going over 1.2v unless you like high temps. Also I would only trust Prime95 when it comes to stress test. Those other programs like to go to the extreme and way beyond real world preference.

i was at 1.25v until about 6 hrs ago. i dropped my vcore to 1.15v and i'm at 4.0ghz stable. Temps dropped like a rock

IBT is not a reliable stress testing program as it stresses the cores way to much.

IMO IBT is the best stress test for stability. If you can't keep it cool enough to be stable in IBT, you're only asking for a warm day to cause problems down the road.

If you can stomach the temps for testing purposes (I run our 4770K well into the 90s in IBT) then the assurance that you'll never get near the threshold of instability in normal use is totally worth it.

I disagree. 90c is totally in the cards with IBT and an H100 at a moderate overclock.

oh yeah I agree with IBT . At first I thought it was like prime95 and other programs . 90c is okay but 1.25v is a little high unless the op is going for a higher overclock .

There is nothing that will cause a CPU to heat up like IBT would do, Prime95 is much more realistic.

IBT is not a reliable stress testing program as it stresses the cores way to much.

IMO IBT is the best stress test for stability. If you can't keep it cool enough to be stable in IBT, you're only asking for a warm day to cause problems down the road.

If you can stomach the temps for testing purposes (I run our 4770K well into the 90s in IBT) then the assurance that you'll never get near the threshold of instability in normal use is totally worth it.

I disagree. 90c is totally in the cards with IBT and an H100 at a moderate overclock.

Thx for the input on this. Like i said i was hitting ~90c in IBT and ~70c in P95 and AIDA. Even with the differences of opinion here, it seems like I'm in good shape either way. I am currently at 1.15v at 4.0ghz. Temps in IBT are now ~75c after 5 max mem. passes. I don't plan on OC'ing until i have a day to dedicate to finding the right combination of parameters that will give me a good balance between temp and frequency. Shouldn't be too difficult since I'm pretty sure i have an average 4770k. I can probably max at 4.4-4.5 without going over 1.25vcore but we'll see. Thats a whooole other post lol

on another note, how do i make a sig? can't find any settings anywhere

on the top right corner when you are signed in and click on your name . it should drop a menu down and you want to pick profile I believe ( one of those ) . the next page should have a collum on the left with signature as one option. . If your on mobile device I have no clue .

also the occ i7 4770k overclockig guide is in my sig but you already seem to know what your doing .

on another note, how do i make a sig? can't find any settings anywhere

on the top right corner when you are signed in and click on your name . it should drop a menu down and you want to pick profile I believe ( one of those ) . the next page should have a collum on the left with signature as one option. . If your on mobile device I have no clue .

also the occ i7 4770k overclockig guide is in my sig but you already seem to know what your doing .

I'll check your guide out anyway. I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination so every bit of of experienced input helps :)

IMHO I don't like to see my cpu in at 90c under any circumstances, it can't do the cpu any good at all and no game or program should run it that high with proper cooling. I think it will shorten the life of it for sure. :no:

They throttle at 100C for a reason. :)