New Monitor

Narcotic

Sorry for not getting back for a bit, I've been "testing the field" with the monitor to see if I could adjust it.  

I have already adjusted the overscan to fit the screen properly.  That's the correct way to fix the sizing? That's quite strange to me that it wouldn't be programmed that way.

I'm currently watching video on the monitor (Breaking Bad actually) and it seems the screen appears.. flickery, or.. How would I explain; sort of like it has a "static pixel" look, like each pixel flickers independantly.  Sorry for the ridiculous way of explaining it, I'm unaware of the official term.  

Anyways, is it because of a GPU threshhold, or is it simply this video that isn't recorded in HD equipment? (It does have the HD setting on, however).

If it is just the video, could someone link a proper 1080p video that I can run on it as a good test?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, 2 weeks later, no reply  :unsure:

I took a screen shot of how videos are buffering.

Since it's a screenshot (digital), and not a photo of the monitor's display, I assume it's a GPU deficiency.  Please correct me if my analysis is wrong.

Below is how I'm seeing -some- videos and images displayed.  I took this shot off of Sony's 1080p test video on YouTube.  

1080pTEST_zps114c3c65.jpg

This is how I'm seeing the images.  Small boxes creating the border of shapes, instead of cut lines.  Apologies for the small picture.

-Narcotic

As this is a screenshot, the first thing I noticed is that image does not seem in 1080P. I have a 1680x1050 monitor and the video

looks better than the image you sent us. If you rescaled it, we cannot see what was your problem. If OCC's forum does automatic

rescaling (for storage purpose) I cannot say.

One thing is clear, the image you sent us does not look like it was streamed in
1080P for sure. If you see some type of boxes, whether your video card's resolution does not match the monitor's maxed

resolution, as LCD requires to be ran in max resolution to give a clear image.

Otherwise, some pixels are stretched and displayed over 2 monitor's pixels, creating a distortion and a fuzzy-looking image.

If it's not your issue, add more details like monitor resolution (native) and video card resolution and model, wiring (VGA or DVI)...

To be completely honest, I didn't think the image would help much for clarity of point, rather I'd hope it'd bring some attention to someone for help.  :whistling:

The native resolution of my monitor is 1920x1080.  It is the  ASUS VX279Q

My video card.. well is on the lower end of medium quality, I got it for cheap.  Radeon HD 6850

I know I need a new one, and have been looking into it.  Would a new video card correct what you explained here; 

Otherwise, some pixels are stretched and displayed over 2 monitor's pixels, creating a distortion and a fuzzy-looking image.

I have the resolution set to 1080p, thought it doesn't fill the entire monitor.  So I used the AMD CCC Overscan option have it fit the entire region.

Also, I'm using an HDMI port. On that note, is Display Port any good? I've never even seen a monitor with it.

• 1 month later...

Hey Narcotic,

To be completely honest, I didn't think the image would help much for clarity of point, rather I'd hope it'd bring some attention to someone for help.  :whistling:

The native resolution of my monitor is 1920x1080.  It is the  ASUS VX279Q

My video card.. well is on the lower end of medium quality, I got it for cheap.  Radeon HD 6850

I know I need a new one, and have been looking into it.  Would a new video card correct what you explained here; 

I have the resolution set to 1080p, thought it doesn't fill the entire monitor.  So I used the AMD CCC Overscan option have it fit the entire region.

Also, I'm using an HDMI port. On that note, is Display Port any good? I've never even seen a monitor with it.

I will assure you that you do not need a new graphics card. The only possible reason you would need a new card would be that your card has a problem, otherwise a working 6850 will have no problem displaying 1080p HD content over an HDMI connection.

One thing to consider when using an HDMI connection is that overscan is generally needed to get 1:1 mapping. This is normal and once it is set, you shound not need to make any further adjustments. Set it to 100%, apply that setting and forget about it.

Another thing to consider is that when you purchase a 27" monitor with a 1920 x 1080 native resolution, your pixel size ends up being rather large in comparison to smaller monitors at the same resolution. For instance, the 27" monitor you listed, has a pixel pitch of 0.311mm, whereas a 23.8" monitor with a similar IPS panel has a pixel pitch of 0.2745mm. What this means is that the same resolution image, displayed on both screens will look slightly different, the larger the pixel pitch, the easier to see the individual pixels at the same viewing distance. In other words, the bigger the monitor, the bigger the pixels at the same resolution. The result can be straight lines look jagged or stair stepped. One way to eliminate this is to purchase a 27" monitor with 2560 x 1440 resolution.

The last thing to consider here is that it will be very hard to find HD quality videos on youtube. Regardless of the resolution, the all online video is encoded for easy trasmission, and there will always be data loss. Good advice would dictate finding a credible HD source you can rely on.

All of this adds up to problematic troubleshooting and frustrating results at best. You need to isolate each variable in your testing method to focus your results.

Display port is nearly the same as HDMI until you exceed 1920 x 1080 resolutions per screen. HDMI is maxxed out at 1920 x 1080, where Display Port can display up to 3840