dns problems, why are they there and how to fix it?

every once in a while i get a dns error and i dont have acces to the internet.

resetting the router doesnt help and flushing the dns data through cmd doesnt help either.

where does a dns error come from?

how does it exist?

and more inportantly, how to fix it?

sorry to barrage the questions but i am just curious :P

Well that is kind of a wide open vague question. What would be more useful is what DNS are you using (eg. ISP's DNS, OpenDNS, Google, etc) and what the DNS error message says.

Well that is kind of a wide open vague question. What would be more useful is what DNS are you using (eg. ISP's DNS, OpenDNS, Google, etc) and what the DNS error message says.

i have actually no idea what dns i use D:

and the error message is that there is a dns error, windows doesnt tell me more >.<

And that's in Windows 7, right?

It has been reported that in case of some users it automatically resets gateway/DNS or both of them.

ye windows 7.

i dont have it often and it is over in 30 minutes but i was wondering why i get it and what the reason is why one would get a dns error to begin with.

seems it is a more difficult question than i thought xD

DNS = domain name service.

Because people would rather not type in IP addresses, they type in a name such as Facebook.com and the DNS server figures out what IP you need to connect to. Your ISP has a DNS server that updates from the root DNS servers. If your ISP's DNS server is down, you'd get an error. You can use a this party dns server such as Opendns if your ISP DNS server is sucking.

DNS = domain name service.

Because people would rather not type in IP addresses, they type in a name such as Facebook.com and the DNS server figures out what IP you need to connect to. Your ISP has a DNS server that updates from the root DNS servers. If your ISP's DNS server is down, you'd get an error. You can use a this party dns server such as Opendns if your ISP DNS server is sucking.

this, i understand :P

@waco, if i install openDNS, it asks me to change my dns for either my computer, router or dns server, which one should i choose? :P

If your router hands out DHCP addresses then set them on the router. If you have static IP's then set it on the computer.

already setted it on the computer, i dont know if i have a dynamic ip or not but we'll see :P