A Little Warm?

jammin

Just a quick post to get peoples opinions/advice on a small dilema which I am having. Basically I am not entirely happy (for this read slighty worried) with the temps I am recording for my XP 2600 (barton). It idles along at about 50c and about 55-60c under load. I am using a stock cooler but with a 120mm vantec stealth fan (for quietness). With my old XP 2400 (T-bred) under the same hsf combo I got temps of about 38-40c idle and up to about 48-50c load. My Mobo has changed from a GA-7VA to a GA-7VT600-L so i thought that this may have something to do with it (both gigabyte though so should record similar temps?). everything runs stable however so don't know if I need to do anything anyhow. Just may want to OC in the future. Was considering changing the stock HS for a thermalright SLK-700. Just think current temps are a little high.What do you think?

Just think current temps are a little high.What do you think?

:O i think so too. you could try putting a fan on the side of your case. that brought my temps down 15c to 42c load on a stock hs and fan. the only draw back is you would have to mod your case.

yeah, i don't really wanna go cutting holes in my case really, it's not that old and cost me a bit. it would also increase the volume coming from my setup. Quietness is important to me so I don't expect super cool temps, just need to get it below 50c at all times ideally.

Yeah sure, when i switched cpus I changed the thermal paste. I also lapped the bottom of the stock heatsink (couldn't believe how rought it was). I used coolermaster high performance paste. Suppose I could change this for some as5?

I am using a stock cooler but with a 120mm

I am confused, if you are using a stock cooler, then there is no way that I can think of to attach a fan that large to it,

I think tho that If you are running the stock heat sink, then thats your problem, those temps are normal for a stock cooler, I'd suggest you spend some money on a decent after market cooler.

I have a Thermaltake volcano12, they ate really nice, I use the thermal sensor to control the speed of the fan, It gets quite loud at full speed,

I have read good things about the Thermaltake silent boost, they are quiet and cool prety well too

There are more expensive coolers out there, and they are worth it too.

80-120mm fan adapter. Was it lapped before or did u just lap it for the new cpu? Maybe the heatsink was messed up by the lapping

not sure about this. I have removed the heatsink several times since lapping to re apply thermal paste (thinking I may have done something wrong) and from what I can tell there is nothing wrong with the contact between cpu and heatsink.

As for other heatsinks. Has anyone used the thermalright slk-700 as i can pick one up for a reasonable price. Any other recommendations welcome although you may note that I dont have mounting holes round my cpu socket.

Edited by jammin

That can complicate things.

I sure can, as it means i can't really stick a big brick of a heatsink on by bolting to MB. This limits my options somewhat. I may try reapplying and reseating heatsink again, but after about 3 times already without a difference in temps I'm either making the same mistakes or none at all.