Can't Overclock (SW and Bios) with Sabertooth Z77 + Core i7 3770k

Hello guys,

Pretty newbie here, please bear with me. I'm extremely frustrated trying to OC this thing. Have just spent quite an amount of money to change CPU + Mobo + Crazy Cooling with terrible results..

Ok basically I have 2 problems:

1. I can't even get to 4.2Ghz with the automatic function in the BIOS (Main Screen, which automatically OCs CPU and Memory) ... I don't want to think it's related to faulty hardware. System don't even get hot enough to think it's about heat (Always below 50C)

2. This is the one that has me even more frustrated. Auto Tuning is nowhere to be seen in AI Suite II... that button EVERYONE has. Instead, I get a "Thermal Monitor" Icon and what also catches my attention is that AI Suite background is Green, instead of the Blue of Black screen I've seen in every video out there.

Someone please shed some light here.

My specs:

Asus Sabertooth Z77

Intel Corei7 3770k

Kraken x40 + Tuniq X4 Thermal Paste.

NZXT Phantom Case with 8 fans. (Just to make clear it's not heat)

Powercolor 7990 Devil 13.

G.Skill Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin 1.5V DDR3 SDRAM 1600MHz (Could this be the problem?)

M4 Corsair 128GB SSD

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

ANTEC 850watts PSU.

Regards.

If you can't overclock via BIOS, ot too new to do it, use AI Suite II to overclock with preset values.

Anyway 4.2GHz is mild overclock and AI Suite would be perfect or auto overclocking.

Edited by d6bmg

If you can't overclock via BIOS, ot too new to do it, use AI Suite II to overclock with preset values.

Anyway 4.2GHz is mild overclock and AI Suite would be perfect or auto overclocking.

I've tried to do so, but I don't have the Auto Tunning Button anywhere. As I said, All I have is a Thermal Monitor Button, and everything has a green background, instead of Blue. :S

Manually overclocking is easy, and there's an old guide in my sig that should help you. All ASUS P67/Z68/Z77 BIOS's are pretty much the same except for a few minor differences. There's only a few settings you really need to change, the rest is testing for stability.

I've updated to latest Bios too.

The reason I want Auto Tunning to work is to try to identify where the problem lays, and monitor temperatures under stress which I can't from Bios since I can't even get past Windows Logo (even at 4.2 Ghz!)

There must be a reason why my AI Suite is different than virtually anyone else's I've seen.

This is the screen I'm getting (Thermal Radar, instead of Auto Running, WTF!!!)

wtfajp.jpg

Edited by TheAquanox

A quick google search needed me an article from Hardocp where they talk about that board and TurboV EVO, Though I didnt see anything about auto oc'ing in my skimming of the article...

I'd actually have to load the software ant take a look at it to find it i'm guessing..

• 3 months later...

aqua, i am in the EXACT same boat with you. my last build was a sabertooth 990fx with 1100t, and by clicking on the perfomance box on the home screen of the uefi bios, it brought my cpu from 3.3ghz to 3.8 and change. turbov evo wasnt on there, but that was ok, i didnt need it obviously. NOW, i build my wife a amd 4350 w/asus board again, and turbo evo is present and works like a champ! brought that thing right up to 4.1 ghz with a stock cooler! lol. OK so now i shell out a shit-ton of money on this thing, and all i get is 3615mhz?? so yeah, im kinda pissed off. the whole point in buying a semi-expensive board was to get the auto overclocking, LIKE I HAD ON THE LAST SABERTOOTH!! arggghhhh. i guess you and i are going to have to learn to overclock, which scares the shit out of me, as i just spent 2300 to build this thing....

anyway i will post any info i can get for you, a friend says he is gonna help me, he had his stable at 4.6 so....yeah

my system

---------------------------------

asus sabertooth z77

i7 3770k

dominator platinum 1866 16 gb

corsair h100i

corsair graphite 600t

corsair tx 850

samsung 840 pro 256 gb

western dig 1tb black

gigabyte windforce 3X gtx760 2g

Manually overclocking is easy, and there's an old guide in my sig that should help you. All ASUS P67/Z68/Z77 BIOS's are pretty much the same except for a few minor differences. There's only a few settings you really need to change, the rest is testing for stability.

welding is easy, because i know how to do it!!!

please man nothing is easy until you know how...just a thought