HELP Please ! OC Q6600 on P5KC @ 3.0 Ghz

MastrSplyntr

I've also heard mixed feedback about EVGA motherboards. Some user say that they are durable, and some complains about low reliability and performance compared to other equivalent motherboards from competitive companies.

As we all can find motherboards having same features as of EVGA from companies like Asus, gigabyte etc etc at a same price range, I think it would be better to choose any motherboard from any of these companies instead of choosing EVGA.

Alright so I just installed a Thermaltake Contac 29, and tbh the temperature difference is just phenomenal. Almost 20 degree less when idle and as much as 35 less on full load @ stock clock. The only problem is when overclocking at 3.0 Ghz (333x9.0) I need to turn up the voltage way upto 1.4500 or above volts for prime95 to run stable else it would crash in less than a minute even though the system works fine for rest of the applications and temp remains well below 75 degree (maximum 72). Is there anything im doing wrong ?  and is it safe to keep the voltage upto 1.5v if ur temperature is under control (that is less than 75)  ?? Thanks alot though, the stockcooler really sucked. More than I could've imagined :D

glad to hear you got that heat under control,...the qx9770 in my sig (which isn't much different than the q6600) runs very a stable 4ghz at 1.5v 24/7 doing folding and other office tasks, so 1.450v isn't way out of line, but the best thing is to work up to the stable voltage slowly and thoroughly test the incremental changes you make,...sounds like you're on the right track ! ...so i'm guessing you're using realtemp to monitor ?

kwik edit: i see coretemp,...nevermind

Glad to see, hear, read that you're making progress Mastr.  That's encouraging!  Reading through your thread as a follow up I see that you've been getting plenty of help and great advice from your fellow members here.  Thanks everyone!

Hell, my old  DFI LanParty DK P35-T2RS, as much of a beats as it was needed a vdroop mod to keep from requiring an almost .1v increase on the vcore to keep the CPU stable under load. Man I miss that board, it's still rocking a 3.8ghz OC on a Wolfdale E6700 for a friend nowadays though :) Beast of a board.
Those were the good ol' days huh !

Another thing to consider is a 1066 -> 1333mhz FSB BSEL mod as they tend to make OverClocking on Q6600's easier as the board detects it actually as a 1333mhz FSB CPU and makes other minor bios changes automatically like your memory strap and MCH voltage.

i don't recall ever having to do the bezel mod on my p5kc (i think) because it was designed for both ddr2 and ddr3, a kind of a hybrid mobo,...but that might be a good reason to give it a try !