my i7 870 @2.93 GHZ wont go further than 3.2GHZ

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MissAFanBoy

MissAFanBoy

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:59 AM

Turbo boost is on, C1E is eneabled.. whats going on? it's supossed to go up to 3.6GHZ while playing or using single core software (starcraft 2 etc)

i know it's supossed to work up to 3.2ghz using all 4 cores but HyperThreading is supossed to make use of 1 to boost it up to 3.6GHZ am i wrong?

#2 olokul

olokul

Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:14 AM

Keep in mind that Turbo Boost is used only by the operating system and the running applications, so those are the ones that determine when to use this feature, in this particular case I would suggest making sure that the Enhance Intel SpeedStep® Technology is disabled on the BIOS of the motherboard, since this feature will force the processor to run slower in order to save power consumption, the option on the BIOS is usually called “EIST” but if you have a third party motherboard and you cannot find the option , please contact the motherboard manufacturer for further assistance.

Also install the latest BIOS version for your motherboard if you have not done that yet

Primary Rig - i5-4670k - Asus Maximus VII Hero - Mushkin Enhanced Redline 16GB @ 2133 CAS9 - Evga GTX 980 - Silverstone 1200w

Second Rig i5 2600K @ 4.2Ghz -Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z -Mushkin Redline ddr3 8Gb -EVGA 780 ti classified -Silverstone 850w

Third Rig - MSI GT60 2OD Laptop - i7 4700MQ @ 3.2Ghz - 16Gb ram - Nvidia GTX780m - 128,120,240msata ssd - 1TB HD

Fourth Rig -i7 980x @4.2GHz -Asus Rampage 3 extreme -Mushkin Ridgeback ddr3 12Gb -4 GTX 670 superclock+ -Evga 1600W G2

I dont fail. I just succeed at finding out what doesn't work.

#3 ThInK192

ThInK192

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:44 AM

When you can post your system specs. so we can help narrow the problems. Also are you overclocking in a OS ,BIOS or both?

If your goal is to get higher frame rates (FPS) in games, then overclocking your CPU is not going help much. 

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 Locutus

Locutus

Fortune favors the bold.

• Folding Member
  • 2011 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:25 PM

When you can post your system specs. so we can help narrow the problems. Also are you overclocking in a OS ,BIOS or both?

If your goal is to get higher frame rates (FPS) in games, then overclocking your CPU is not going help much. 

He isn't overclocking, he's just trying to get the advertised speeds.

Heatware - Ebay

"I can't believe I ate the entire kitten!"

sigimage.gif

#5 d6bmg

d6bmg

BMG FTW!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4152 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:29 AM

Turbo boost is OS controlled.

You may disable speed-step to see the advertised speeds.

boozei.gif