can newer drivers make a card overclock better?

WarWeeny

The actual overclocking ability of the card? No. That usually stays the same independent of the driver being used (most of the time).

but how can you explain the sudden potential of the extra 30mhz overclock, i doubt it is a configuration i havent tried before...

nice card, overclocks better the longer it stays with the user

they should make a meme of that D:

but how can you explain the sudden potential of the extra 30mhz overclock, i doubt it is a configuration i havent tried before...

nice card, overclocks better the longer it stays with the user

they should make a meme of that D:

Think of it this way. The hardware say, can overclock to 910MHz Core Clock and 2100MHz Memory Clock. Bad drivers only allow stability at 900Mhz Core Clock and 1800MHz Core Clock until a good driver allows it to be stable at 910Mhz Core Clock and 2100MHz Memory Clock. There's no magical drivers that will allow it to be stable at 920MHz Core Clock and 2200MHz Memory Clock. The capability is the card itself. The potential to reach that capability are the drivers.

Quite the opposite now with Sandy, you actually get less due to degradation and electron migration at high clocks.

This hold for almost all processors.

I remember that from C2D days when a low end locked C2D overclocked 50MHz more after mildly overclocked for ~1 month.