Nvidia Geforce Pcx

Xtreme21

I know there is a comment section on the article on the main page but i wanted to open up a thread about it.. I'm actually quite anxious to see these new cards in action, and also i hope its not a repeat pf the FX line. So what are your guyz thoughts and feelings about these new line of cards. Also have we heard anything from ATI about there PCI-X cards or do all we know is the name of the core.

---------------------------------------

Taken from Nvidia's website

----------------------------------------

NVIDIA PCI EXPRESS GPUs:

-ENTHUSIAST

NVIDIA GeForce PCX 5950 GPUs: deliver extreme graphics power and performance for extreme gamers.

-PERFORMANCE

NVIDIA GeForce PCX 5750 GPUs: designed for high-performance gaming with NVIDIA

first off stop calling them pci-x. pci-x is already in use on some higher end server/workstation boards, and has been since the days of the PII. You're talking about pci express.

second of all, we have already heard all about it, whe don't need it posted 3 times a week bro.

whoa ! :ph34r:

first time i have seen a thread about PCI Express Nvidia GPU's........and iv'e been here ALOT lately

Xtreme21, i plan to upgrade everything in about a year or so myself, by then the boards and all will be "mature" and I will go PCI-X........lol, i mean, PCI Express and Nvidia for sure

just threw together this "budget" system for now ;)

Yes well if it is still based off the 5950 it isn't going to be worth the bother in my opinion. I think it will be a waste of money to upgrade when pci *express* comes out. Look at all the major upgrades comming out pci express, ddr2, and 64 bit cpus. I am just going to wait for them to work the bugs out and for prices to drop no real reason to blow all that money when it will be more reliable later on.

Yes well if it is still based off the 5950 it isn't going to be worth the bother in my opinion. I think it will be a waste of money to upgrade when pci *express* comes out. Look at all the major upgrades comming out pci express, ddr2, and 64 bit cpus. I am just going to wait for them to work the bugs out and for prices to drop no real reason to blow all that money when it will be more reliable later on.

You know, by the time 64 bit goes 'mainstream', they'll already have something new in the works. Something like 64 bit is to 32 bit. I guess the common view is something along the lines of "The faster it is, the faster something else could be."

Basically, by the time you pay as much for a 64 bit CPU that you do for a 32 bit CPU, some insane new innovation will have arrived (I dare say 128bit). Guess that's the way things work.

My next upgrade will be an overhaul, like my jump from a 500 mhz AMD K-6 to a 3 ghz was. I like to see massive amounts of improvement. :P

you left out a very important, or at least i think important detail

"NVIDIA used IDF to serve as an occasion to announce a new line of PCI Express enabled graphic cards. The new cards are called GeForce PCX and are based on current GeForce FX and GeForce 4 solutions. An extra bridge chip called HSI (High Speed Interconnect) allows for the protocol conversion between the AGP graphics chip and PCI Express. True or native PCI Express solutions will follow later this year." ---Tom's Hardware

First thing I noticed was that they decided to base the PCX 4300 on a GF4 MX, not the Ti series. No surprise since the Ti series GPU's would close the cost/performance gap to the PCX 5300 or PCX 5750 too much. If the PCX 4300 were based on a Ti GPU, nobody would buy the PCX 5300 based on the 5200 GPU.

The other thing is that these models will use the "extra bridge chip" to make an AGP chip run the PCI-Express protocol, in otherwords, not native, and I dare say, probably slower and with more bugs.

I'll wait until the native PCI-Express cards come out for sure. ;)