Cooling Advice

Braegnok

I'm upgrading my rig with a custom water loop and CrossFired HD7970's. But I have ran into a issue finding a full-board water block kit, or chipset and mosfets blocks for my Asus Rampage IV Gene Micro ATX LGA 2011 X79 motherboard. I did not think they would be so hard to find :whoa: , any help would be greatly appreciated!, I have already started building new system so there is no budget and cost is what ever it takes to get the blocks needed for full-board cooling.

The system parts I'm using: Koolance Exos-2 V2, in combination with Hailea HC-500A 110V waterchiller, Aquacomputer Cuplex Kryos XT Silver Edition CPU Block, Aquacomputer Aquagr ATIX VGA Blocks, Tygon R-3603 1/2" ID 3/4" OD tubing and G1/4 thread ports. Thanks in advance for any help finding something that will work.

Edited by Braegnok

I personally wouldn't wc the MB.

I did check the EK site and they listed "no plans on making a full coverage block", though they did have chipset and mosfets blocks for it.

Thanks vary much for the advice guys, I will not worry about cooling MB. It will make a much cleaner looking install... And less blocks to restrict flow.

Edited by Braegnok

Thanks, this is my first multi block loop. So any information is greatly appreciated. I have read that MB chipset blocks restrict flow, and they do not need water cooling in most cases with some air flow.

I'm cooling my cpu and two gpu's with an exterior system, for coolant I am using distilled water with no additives, except a silver coil in reservoir and all silver or copper blocks, radiator.

So hopefully every thing will last a long time and be easy to clean, I was told just distilled water will not cause as much damage if something gets wet. :cheers:

Edited by Braegnok

Don't mean to be a stickler BUT...

Doesn't matter what kind of water it is. When it Drips onto any kind of PCB its conductive. Usually due to whatever is laying on the PCB.. And think about all the metal particles that are floating in the system after first start up and the wear in of the water-pump. potential metal shavings in the radiator, blocks and hose.. There be particles in there so once you use the system for few hours disregard the fact that its distilled and realize that its perfectly conductive. Just remember, once a week check the think for best results. Plan your loop to be able to remove it without removing the entire computer from the case at one time. Make a drain line for when you have to service it. Easiest place to make the drain line is the bottom video card. Also Remember to Leak test the thing for a week before you try anything.

Here is an answer for you though.

http://www.svc.com/x79ramg.html

Here is a water-block that you could use.You don't really need a nice water-block for the chip-set BUT if you must there is you only solution I could find. EK, Mips, Liquid ecstasy, and Aqua cooling Didn't have Squat for it. SO XSPC it is.

Good luck and don't use compression fittings for the Motherboard block, Space issues. And if you had the rampage extreme rather then the Gene. EK makes a Boat load of flavors, Change the Mobo and get the stuff for the Rampage Extreme is one other expensive option. But hey, just an Idea to entertain. :popcorn:

Thanks for the help, This project has been two weeks of not knowing WTF I'm doing and lots of issues to worry about. I leak tested for about 10 hours yesterday, with just the pump running and a jumper on my 24-pin green and black wires. And had no leaks. So I removed all paper towels and have been running system with old max profile from when I had the H-100 cooler. Which is 4.4 GHz with the H-100 this was my max safe temps running prime 95 blend for just a few min. was in the high 70c. to mid 80's... Now with new cooling I have set the chiller for 11c and I'm running at 47c @ CPU core using same settings and running prime 95 blend for 2 hours. I had to make some changes to loop by removing the Exos-2 and now have pump, reservoir inside case with no radiator. The air cooled radiator would have heated the coolant and chiller needs a min. 1,200 liters per hour pump. When I started laying out all the parts and tubing, I needed some kind of blueprint or photo to have some kind of plan. :dunno: Attached photo is what I used to build my system for layout planning connections, I went with dual Swiftech MCP655 Pumps modded with D5 Dual Top @ 634 GPH and G1/4 thread ports with same tubing configuration except CrossFire Blocks.

I want to go for 4.6 GHz after work today, but I am concerned about condensation or dew point settings. I was told not to set chiller below ambient air temp or condensation will form on blocks inside case. The ambient air now is 13.3c and the chiller is set on 11c but I have no issues yet. How much below ambient is when I need to worry about condensation forming?

Edited by Braegnok

For ambient temperature condensation there are too many factors weather it will be above or below the actual ambient temp depending on humidity, air density, pressure etc. Too much calculation there so I would leave it at 15c - 17c so you will not have problems. The processor is still running cool so what is stopping you from pushing it Up?? I got my 2011 3930K up to 4.70ghz on air?

For ambient temperature condensation there are too many factors weather it will be above or below the actual ambient temp depending on humidity, air density, pressure etc. Too much calculation there so I would leave it at 15c - 17c so you will not have problems. The processor is still running cool so what is stopping you from pushing it Up?? I got my 2011 3930K up to 4.70ghz on air?

I got 4.6 last night stable with max temp running prime 95 blend still under 50c after 2 hours. with chiller set at 15c like you said. I found a Dew Point Calculator on line it's easy to use. But agree it is good advice to just stay at or just under ambient. Thanks for all the great advice!

Edited by Braegnok

Thanks for all the help! I'm happy for now at 4.6 GHz. So I'm going to save this profile and start on my graphics cards they are at stock settings running at 30c now. I have not played any games since the upgrade. guess tonight will put 7% on them and enjoy some Dirt 3 on 1080P. :cheers: