Help me silencing my rig

SkytTe

Hi there. My rig is getting quite noisy, even when idle. It has always put out a bit of noise, but not this much.

That's why I'd love to see some recommendations or some guesses as to which parts are making the noise (It's hard for me to locate it)

Specs listed below:

- HAF 912 Plus midi tower, with the factory installed fans (200mm front, and 120mm rear)

- CM Hyper Evo

- ASUS EAH6870 DC/2DI2S/1GD5

- Corsair TX650 v2

- WD 500GB Caviar Black (storage)

- Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD (Boot drive)

I don't suspect the Hyper Evo, nor the ASUS card and SSD. Could it be the HDD, PSU and case making all the noise?

Btw, on the left side of the case I've attached some silence foam, meaning that the side 140mm vent hole is sealed off.

I'd appreciate some help, and perhaps some recommendations for upgrades please :)

what kind of noise it is exactly?

i dont know how much loud it is for a fan for you to call it such noisy. but most chassis' stock fans runs near silent unless they're about to fail due to worn out bushings/bearings. same with the PSU fan.

i never heard how loud the hyper evo fan though.

Is it loud all the time or just when you put it under load (like playing games or?)?

I've had that psu and it is pretty quiet, I would suspect the GPU if it's under load, But like sword asked.. what type of noise is it,, (do you have a memory cooler installed? They can be pretty noisy sometimes.)

You know, the graphics card and CPU cooler needs cooler air coming in, or hot air going out. The hotter it gets (if the graphics card is on air), the higher the fans go to help keep it cool, thus the louder it gets. I'd removed the silence foam if it's blocking airflow.

what kind of noise it is exactly?

i dont know how much loud it is for a fan for you to call it such noisy. but most chassis' stock fans runs near silent unless they're about to fail due to worn out bushings/bearings. same with the PSU fan.

i never heard how loud the hyper evo fan though.

It's not a scratchy noise. It's a constant loud noise, like if all the fans were going crazy, but they run with very low rpm, and when i hold my ear close to each of them, they are silent.

Is it loud all the time or just when you put it under load (like playing games or?)?

I've had that psu and it is pretty quiet, I would suspect the GPU if it's under load, But like sword asked.. what type of noise is it,, (do you have a memory cooler installed? They can be pretty noisy sometimes.)

It's loud at all times. Not much changed from idle to load.

You know, the graphics card and CPU cooler needs cooler air coming in, or hot air going out. The hotter it gets (if the graphics card is on air), the higher the fans go to help keep it cool, thus the louder it gets. I'd removed the silence foam if it's blocking airflow.

I'm sure it's not blocking, since the airflow system in my HAF 912 is Front to Rear,

Furthermore, the temps haven't gone higher after putting the foam there.

download msi afterburn and see what temp and fan speed the videocard is at. You can also check the card temp to fan speed slope. your card might be starting off at 50% fan speed from boot and move up the slope quickly..... googleing your card (if your sig is right) the heatsink isnt very good, it recirculats the air inside the case not pushing it out the back of the case like most. also looking at your case i would mount a fan on the side panel to blow air accross the card as well.

If I was you I'd just unplug one case fan at a time then restart the pc to try and find the noisy one.Also go into the bios and make sure it's set to control the cpu fan speed, if it's set to 100% it will be loud. Remember to monitor all your temps as you try this.

• 2 weeks later...

It's not a scratchy noise. It's a constant loud noise, like if all the fans were going crazy, but they run with very low rpm, and when i hold my ear close to each of them, they are silent.

Maybe one of your fans is vibrating against the case... or if they all seem silent maybe they are all slightly vibrating against the case? When you say its a constant loud noise do you mean its just constantly loud or do you mean that its like a constant sound... for instance if they were making a constant WAwaWAwaWAwa kinda noise it would suggest your bearings are bad...

If you just wanna upgrade, I need new fans myself because most of mine have bad bearings so I have been seriously thinking about these Xigmatek XAF's 15 bucks, big air flow for little noise but those wouldn't really help in the case of the 200mm fan