Help Improve Waterblocks!

aaronbp

Over the past year, I've been working on designing a new type of waterblock for computer liquid cooling. If you could please take five minutes to fill out this eight-question survey about your waterblock preferences, it would be enormously helpful in my efforts to bring my invention to market. If you have any questions, please contact me at [email protected].

Survey link:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dDA5Z2prUEZ4YWItY01DU0lfRzRNSnc6MQ

Thanks!

Aaron Batker Pritzker

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How freaked out would you be by fluid touching your heat spreader?

I wouldn't be freaked out but I wouldn't buy a block that required me to drain my system entirely and carefully dismantle it just to swap out the CPU.

That, and any pores/machining marks in the heatspreader will leave the possibility of leaks especially with high powered pumps.

Pass.

I wouldn't be freaked out but I wouldn't buy a block that required me to drain my system entirely and carefully dismantle it just to swap out the CPU.

That, and any pores/machining marks in the heatspreader will leave the possibility of leaks especially with high powered pumps.

Pass.

This.

Plus things like no multi socket capability if the cpu size changes

Pass.

Since I'm not trying to sell this now, I won't address questions of leaks and future compatibility. I am, however, interested in what you mean by "carefully dismantle [the system]." My system would require you to drain all fluid from your liquid cooling setup to swap out the CPU, but that's it: just drain the fluid, unscrew four thumb screws, and lift the block off the processor. No tubes would have to be disconnected and no other dismantling would be necessary. Is this still a deal breaker for you?

Since I'm not trying to sell this now, I won't address questions of leaks and future compatibility. I am, however, interested in what you mean by "carefully dismantle [the system]." My system would require you to drain all fluid from your liquid cooling setup to swap out the CPU, but that's it: just drain the fluid, unscrew four thumb screws, and lift the block off the processor.

If only draining a system were that easy. Pulling the block off of the chip will inevitably spill the remaining water in the block/local tubing all over your board, GPU, or whatever is near. The very minimal gain from a direct contact block is most likely going to be lost since the thermal dissipation area of the heatspeader is dwarfed by even the cheapest of waterblocks though...

There have been direct die waterblocks built in the past along with impingement designs that sprayed water directly on the die as well. They've all failed to catch on for various reasons. Cost, lack of upgrade-ability, and performance not worth the hassle is what comes to mind.

I'm sorry, but at this point in the development of my idea, I'd rather not share details. If you're interested though, just let me know and I'll PM you when I can say more.

How do you propose to seal this open block to a CPU?

I also doubt direct contact of coolent to the CPU heatsyc will work better than a standard CPU waterblock. There is a reason there are fins/pins in the block.

If only draining a system were that easy. Pulling the block off of the chip will inevitably spill the remaining water in the block/local tubing all over your board, GPU, or whatever is near. The very minimal gain from a direct contact block is most likely going to be lost since the thermal dissipation area of the heatspeader is dwarfed by even the cheapest of waterblocks though...

There have been direct die waterblocks built in the past along with impingement designs that sprayed water directly on the die as well. They've all failed to catch on for various reasons. Cost, lack of upgrade-ability, and performance not worth the hassle is what comes to mind.

Again I'd rather not discuss specifics of my invention at this moment, but you drain the system by letting gravity pull what liquid it can out of the tubes, then blowing into them before you remove the block.

I'm familiar with some jet impingement waterblocks for industrial applications, but do you have specific information on any consumer ones that have existed in the past?

Again I'd rather not discuss specifics of my invention at this moment, but you drain the system by letting gravity pull what liquid it can out of the tubes, then blowing into them before you remove the block.

Sounds like a pain in the butt.

Water cooling is enough hassle as it is. Self contained systems are really catching on lately.

I'm familiar with some jet impingement waterblocks for industrial applications, but do you have specific information on any consumer ones that have existed in the past?

Blowing through tubing with your mouth is a great way to grow a science project if you're not careful. :lol:

Sorry...but if you can't tell us what you're doing you aren't going to get much interest.

Blowing through tubing with your mouth is a great way to grow a science project if you're not careful. :lol:

Sorry...but if you can't tell us what you're doing you aren't going to get much interest.

I know. At this point, I'm looking for responses to the survey, not interest in the idea. If I can ascertain people's priorities through the survey, I can create effective test procedures and design revisions that will allow me to release a much better and more "interesting" product when I'm ready.