Smart Phone Comparison

Fogel

Which Smart Phone do you prefer? (say why below)  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Which Smart Phone would you pick if buying today?

• Sony Xperia T / TX
    • HTC One X
    • Samsung Galaxy S3
    • Nokia Lumia 920
    • iPhone 5
    • Motorola Droid RAZR Maxx
    • (other - specify in topic)
    • None - Don't want to pay for a data plan (I don't have a smart phone)
    • None - Don't want to pay for a data plan (I do HAVE a smart phone)

Lol I always loved that. "iPhone's made of beautiful high quality aluminum and glass.....Time to throw it right in a case!" :lol:

I've always successfully reverted my Android phones back from root,so you can always do that for the iPhone. Sucks that you're always going to be looking over your shoulder though, that's so stupid. I have no problem with jailbroken iPhones (other than apple getting more money :P ) since it finally grants the device the freedom it should have from factory.

Edited by IVIYTH0S

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I was forced back onto my iPod after my phone kicked the bucket. Nearly 3 years and 1 at a 20% OC all withthe original battery not bad.Anyway I am having serious issues like many others apparently and my wifi is failing after a minute or two. It will tell me I have great connection but nothing will connect. One really good thing about the iPod is it used to always have great wifi reception and range. There are some fixes but I don't feel like changing my said.I did rediscover some things I forgot. Namely jumping to the top of a page by tapping the top of the screen.

Odd. Is it the iPod Touch? You can try to reset the network settings and see if that helps.

I would like to know how they would even figure out you jailbreaked your phone in the first place. I know plenty of people who jailbreak and then restore to factory settings if they need warranty work done. Sounds like the same threats Microsoft threw out many years ago.

Well, if you brick the device and take it in for repair, it is pretty obvious. :P The mobile OS from Google and Apple (likely MS as well) "phone home" every few hours. It is likely that this information could tell them. I would also imagine that the OSs keep a log of anything installed to the device, changes in settings, etc. that could be pulled out via some kind of diagnostic tool if necessary.

Odd. Is it the iPod Touch? You can try to reset the network settings and see if that helps.

iPod Touch 4th Gen

Reset all sorts of settings and everything I could on the iPod. Forgot and reconected to network, turned the router on and off and basically the only fix I have found at the current time is the possibility of going into your modem/router settings and changing the SSID and I really don't want to do that to get it to function.

Never had issues with wifi before and always had considered apple to have done well with wifi and wifi range but its now a huge issue for many people that upgraded to ios6. It took me ages to notice it because I wasn't using the ipod at all really. Then my soc all but fried after a year at a 20%OC not bad for a dinosaur (read 2010) phone.

Anyway replaced my iPod now with something that gives me 8gb int, 32gb ext mem, 1gb ram, dual core 1ghz tegra 2, direct hdmi out no adapter, the best damn loudspeakers i have ever heard on a mobile device (that includes comparing it to my x10, ipod, iriver e100, dad's walkman phone and to iphones), insane fidelity from a phone thanks to a wolson dac/amp that can really really drive headphones.

Just finished rooting, flashing, bricking, flashing and tweaking and yeas in that order. I always seem to rush and make one stupid mistake first time haha Havent had the phone 12 hours before i fully customized it and stripped away 60% of the stock apps.

Lol I always loved that. "iPhone's made of beautiful high quality aluminum and glass.....Time to throw it right in a case!" :lol:

I didn't say Plastic case now did I..? :P

I have this Unisuit for my S3 (but in black-blue colours)

http://www.uniqcases.com/index.php/shop/galaxy-s-iii/for-galaxy-s-iii-sporty-ocean.html

And my brother is using the same, albeit in leather, iPhone 4 version. Or you can use Pouches too. As long as you're being careful, the glass on the back of the iPhone 4 won't break. Same goes for the iPhone 5, but the anodized Aluminum design (with those trims and etc) just isn't as strong as glass.

Speaking of which, I highly recommend that Unisuit case. Works very well for my brother's iPhone 4 and also helps me get rid of that 'cheap' feeling of the S3 (but adds a bit more bulk. wouldn't slip from your hands though)

Well, if you brick the device and take it in for repair, it is pretty obvious. :P

This should be a Plus for the iPhone: All the Jailbreaking team (iPhone dev, comex, geohot, etc) have done so well that There's no way in hell that you'd brick your phone when jailbreaking (at least all the tools released till now). :D

Edited by vandreadstriker

I've always laughed about that. :lol: I remember I bought into the thin phone craze and bought a Moto Razr and thought it super cool it was so thin. Of course I wanted to protect it, so what I do? I stuck some thick leather case on it so it ended up being thicker than my first cell phone and bigger too. Somewhere along the line I thought to myself, why? I just defeated the whole purpose of upgrading to a thinner phone. Rode naked ever sense. Though if I get iPhone or S3 I probably will get a thin case. Maybe I will get the insurance, I dunno. Some people ride with that Ghost Armor so thats a possibility.

Well, if you brick the device and take it in for repair, it is pretty obvious. :P The mobile OS from Google and Apple (likely MS as well) "phone home" every few hours. It is likely that this information could tell them. I would also imagine that the OSs keep a log of anything installed to the device, changes in settings, etc. that could be pulled out via some kind of diagnostic tool if necessary.

Well ya I'm sure it is very easy for them to spot who has a jailbreaked phone, but the moment they go that route is the instant tons of people start suing for privacy violation. I'm sure this law will protect them from that but its still going to be a rough road if they choose to go down that path.

Like Vandread said, it seems to be a lot more common to brick an Android phone than a iPhone. My friend who is also deciding which phone to go with (the guy currently has a droid and had a S3 because of work) said he has operated on his Droid more times than he cares to count. He finds the stuff fun, but at the same time he is getting tired of having to do that stuff. The guy hacked the S3 work gave him. He hacks the laptops they give him, installs his own OS, installs Steam and his favorite games and then restores it to the way they gave it to him when he has to give it back. He cracks me up sometimes.

So... what does everyone think of the relatively inexpensive Nexus 4 that was announced yesterday? :) I have never had an LG phone so I don't know about LG's build quality though.

So... what does everyone think of the relatively inexpensive Nexus 4 that was announced yesterday? :) I have never had an LG phone so I don't know about LG's build quality though.

I have had two LGs and build quality is good and since it's nexus the is side of things will be sweet :thumbsup:

I used to have an LG flip phone years back, it was very basic but it took some serious battering. One of the two phones I've had that ended in me loosing them rather than killing them. The other being a Nokia 6680 :lol:

My phone currently is a LG phone and it is the reason I really want a new phone. It didn't take me long to start regretting it even though I kept it far longer than I should have. Phone before was a Razr and then a LG phone before that (which was great). While I was researching the LG Optimus G since it looks so promising, I noticed a large amount of people saying "it looks great, only problem is its a LG phone". Not sure why so people hate LG phones. I mean ya I really hate my phone but I sure wouldn't blanket statement all LG phones are crap because of it.

I know the tablets are highly regarded. I would imagine it would be a decent phone but I didn't research that one at all so I know nothing about it.

It's good to know people have had good experiences with LG phones, makes me interested in the Nexus 4 even more. :thumbsup: I've never had an LG phone so the brand was a bit of a question mark for me.

It's good to know people have had good experiences with LG phones, makes me interested in the Nexus 4 even more. :thumbsup: I've never had an LG phone so the brand was a bit of a question mark for me.

It is good, its the brand I chose after much research into just what phone I would use to turn into a portable media player.

I must say that I am over the moon with my final decision. Went with the LG Optimus 2X, it is a bit old now but if anyone is considering getting an iPod, MP3 or PMP definitely consider this phone.

I didn't say Plastic case now did I..? :P

I have this Unisuit for my S3 (but in black-blue colours)

It doesn't matter, wearing a case on your phone voids any right to tout your phone's base build quality IMHO :P.

I've always laughed about that. :lol: I remember I bought into the thin phone craze and bought a Moto Razr and thought it super cool it was so thin. Of course I wanted to protect it, so what I do? I stuck some thick leather case on it so it ended up being thicker than my first cell phone and bigger too. Somewhere along the line I thought to myself, why? I just defeated the whole purpose of upgrading to a thinner phone. Rode naked ever sense. Though if I get iPhone or S3 I probably will get a thin case. Maybe I will get the insurance, I dunno. Some people ride with that Ghost Armor so thats a possibility.

Yeah, I run naked with my S1 and I drop it all the time and at most the battery falls out (annoying) but other then that, it's fine.