Understanding Moitors

ivangela

So, a lot of this is probably quite basic but I don't get the fascination with a screen's resolution. The number of lines both vertical and horizontal seems to me to be a poor measure of how good the picture is. Wouldn't it be better to know the pixel density, something like pixels per square inch?

It seems like the picture on a 50 inch TV with the same resolution as a 30 inch TV should be worse, I mean same number of lines of resolution over a larger area, right?

Someone enlighten me :dunno:

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, you are correct. If two TVs have the same resolution, but one has a larger area (50" for example) , then the larger TV will have less pixel density which will mean more pixelized picture, because you can more easily notice the bigger pixels on the screen. You'd need to watch TV from farther away and you'd be fine. Generally, the higher the pixel density, the "smoother" the picture will be. That's all that I can think of right now. Any questions?

Yes, larger monitors with less pixel density can have the flyscreen effect, as well as jagged lines. Thats why im not even a fan of those 27" 1080x1920 monitors, much less a 42" up close lol.

Maybe if you really buy a real POS...but any half way decent monitor NO.

Even my cheap ass Element 40" monitor didn't have the screen-door effect...even sitting nearly on the screen. Don't judge before using...

but Element Tvs do, many cheap brands will just keep the pixel ratio the same. good brands will scale the pixels based on the array. Kinda like up-scaling .

That's not how it works at all. :lol:

That's not how it works at all. :lol:

I thought it was, or am i confusing it with something else. If you have a source image that is small it's up to the tv to scale to image to match it's own internal pixel ratio. cheap brands may have 1000 "pixels" in one direction and another company may have 4000, hence pixel density.