Unusual boot up.

Since I purchased the Asus M4N98 TD evo, I have gotten used to the way it boots up.

The monitor light turns from green to orange because the BIOS is always slow to start.

Then the light goes green again then the black screen shows the beginning of the BIOS.

So the OS eventually loads.

I have had four instances when the monitor light goes from green to orange and the tower runs [lights, fans, etc.]

After a long time I realized the monitor light remained orange.

[Damn, I said. Not the bad word] and pressed the power button.

Instant turn off. Huh? The BIOS obviously had not loaded.

One other time, this happened and I had to hold the button for four seconds. Seems like the BIOS had loaded but nothing more.

And another time it all happened except I was holding the button in and at about the three second mark I started to get the BIOS boot showing so I quickly removed digit from button. Proper boot up occurred then.

I hope somebody has an inkling of what is happening here.

Regards from Me.

Ces, have you tweaked anything in the BIOS lately? As Trans recommended it would be good if you confirmed you were running the latest BIOS revision too. Double check all cables and connectors, sata, ide (if applicable) power, vga etc. and make sure all of them are securely fastened. Remove and reseat your memory sticks and while you're at it give the whole rig a good cleaning (just because this would be a good time to do it - not because it will help with your problem :))

Might as well go ahead and reseat the video card too.

After you've got this done, please let us know the results and we'll continue to investigate if none of this helped.

I sometimes have the same problem with my 460, everything runs yet no screen, I found that rather than use power or reset buttons if I unplugged the dvi cable from the video card and plugged it back in the screen will come right up which tells me that the bios did load and it was a video card glitch, still haven't found what causes this as it only happens about once a week and mostly when I'm coming out of sleep mode.:dunno:

Thanks guys,

I'll get onto it and then post an update.

Don't hold your breath as the last four days, the rig has booted up normally.

Hope it isn't one of those damn gremlins giggling in the back corner of the case again.

edit: Uh oh. Just remembered something. My son's external hard drive was connected. It had video stuff to watch. I disconnected it a few days ago and returned it to him. I wonder if that could cause this thing to happen?

Edited by Cespenar

The external hd being connected was probably the cause, some mb's can be pretty picky when booting with usb drives connected . Hope your problem is solved.:thumbsup:

Yes Spike. That was it.

My son had a USB stick in his tower and it used to do something like that. I had a USB stick in some time ago but only a day or two and nothing happened.

But the USB External Drive definitely did it. Not a gremlin thank goodness. And Asus boards can be picky a bit more than others, but good when they are good.

Thanks all for the input.

PS I did give the internals a reseat and a clean, So all good.

Thanks from Cespenar, the big C. I am a Cannon after all.