Llano/A Series

Hi all,

Probably a simple question here, but not sure. If I bought an A8 3870k for example, and wanted to OC, is the IGPU locked on a frequency? Apologies if this is a Google thing, but thought I would post this here.

This is from a memory so may not be accurate. I think you can overclock the IGPU within the constaints of the RAM speed, since this is used for video memory.

iIn another words expect to overclock the RAM to compliment the IGPU for effective performance gain.

I'm not certain of the article details.

The core speed can be overclocked just like anything else assuming the mobo has a decent BIOS.

Exactly. The memory frequency, although not linked to the iGPU one, is also very important and makes quite a difference. I suggest getting no lower than DDR3-1866.

The core speed can be overclocked just like anything else assuming the mobo has a decent BIOS.

Thing is though Waco, I am unsure of the relationship of a CPU and IGPU being Overclocked. Sorry if this is really obvious, but if you increase the CPU frequency, does it do it tandem with the IGPU? My original intent was to ask if you can lock the PCIE frequency onboard, thus allowing the frequency of the CPU to fun levels. I am old school with Overclocking. Never used these new fangled UFEI bios'es.

You should be able to vary the GPU core speed and the CPU core speed entirely independently. You shouldn't need to touch the PCIe speed at all.

• 2 weeks later...

The stock frequency is 600MHz, but OC's of the IGPU are somewhere between 900-975MHz . I benched this one at 925MHz. This is the Bios settings on the Gigabyte FM1 boards.

fm1_bios_igx.jpg

3.6GHz-3.9GHz seems the range for most of the 3870K's. I got this one to 3.7, but given more tweak time i think it would do 3.8

fm1_apu_oc.jpg

A bit more info here performance wise.

Thankyou for sharing that. Could you recommend a particular mobo? Been a long time since I have bought one, so not sure what is hot and what is not. Can only go on magazine reviews and such like, not real world experiance.