Temp confusion on RealTemp w/ h100 & IB 3770k

Hey guys,

so i just put together my new rig and everything seems great so far, but there are a few things that are bothering me. I am using the H100 cooler to cool the cpu but for some reason the temps seem a little jumpy. Its weird cause they have extreme lows and highs, i used RealTemp and the temperature on a core would jump as much as 6 degrees in like a second then jump back down like 5. The temperature could go as low as 19 degrees but then go as high 25-28 degrees within a few seconds when im not doing anything at all, i am just sitting there watching it as soon as i start the computer. On my 2500k with an H60 the temps would be like 29-31c and they stayed quite steady, not nearly as jumpy, maybe a few degrees sometimes. Is this behaviour normal with the IB chips or something? any help would be appreciated

Also, i did a stress test for about 7 hours, its stll at stock, just to make sure everything is ok with the chip. Considering its at STOCK and im using the H100 which is supposed to be a monster, these temps seems a little too HIGH. NOTE: THE H100 IS NOT PUSH/PULL, I HAVE IT WITH THE FANS MOUNTED ON THE TOP OF A 600T AND THEY ARE PULLING OUTSIDE AIR INTO THE CASE THROUGH THE RADIATOR (ive just read that this is the best way to do it, dunno if thats correct). Oh lastly, should i stress test the stock cpu for longer than 7 hours before i start OC'ing? Or is 7 hours enough to confirm a stock chip is safe?

Thanks in advance everyone!

post-76321-0-44416200-1337894888_thumb.jpg

Edited by jdhatt

I've got a 3770k and a Cooler Master 212+, and I get temps about 10C higher than that with Small ffts, and 5C higher than that with Blend mode. I don't think you need to stress test the chip at stock. As long as it boots up ok, you should been fine at stock frequency, its tested at intel. I also noticed the large jumps/drops in temperature like you are getting. Not sure whats causing that, must be inherent to the chip.

What setting are you fans on? There is a button on the CPU block that has 3 settings. Try the highest and see what temps are then. I'm not sure what temps you should be getting with the cooler though.

If like you say your seeing the spikes in temps when you first start the pc don't worry about it, windows is still loading things the average user dosen't even need to know about, so the temps will be up and down.:biggrin:

I've got a 3770k and a Cooler Master 212+, and I get temps about 10C higher than that with Small ffts, and 5C higher than that with Blend mode. I don't think you need to stress test the chip at stock. As long as it boots up ok, you should been fine at stock frequency, its tested at intel. I also noticed the large jumps/drops in temperature like you are getting. Not sure whats causing that, must be inherent to the chip.

What setting are you fans on? There is a button on the CPU block that has 3 settings. Try the highest and see what temps are then. I'm not sure what temps you should be getting with the cooler though.

The fans are on the highest setting. Ive also swapped them with bitfenix spectre pro's, amazing fan. If anybody with an H100 and 3770k could add some input that would be great! I thought it might be a mounting problem, but then i checked the screwed they are nice and tight and heatsink seems to be pretty snug on there.

If like you say your seeing the spikes in temps when you first start the pc don't worry about it, windows is still loading things the average user dosen't even need to know about, so the temps will be up and down.:biggrin:

Nono even when the pc is done loading up and its been on for a few hours, at everything idle i still notice the jumps, sorry should have made that more clear.

I had the same issue with the h100. I feel like its in power saving mode and once it realize it's heating up than it goes in overdrive. Even though I have a different CPU my h100 would jump 10c than than after a few seconds it would drop to a Steady number.

For me having it drop to 65c than down to 46c after a few seconds is normal but it only happens when I put a quick

Load it on, like prime95. So it may be a different issue

Edited by hornybluecow

I had the same issue with the h100. I feel like its in power saving mode and once it realize it's heating up than it goes in overdrive. Even though I have a different CPU my h100 would jump 10c than than after a few seconds it would drop to a Steady number.

For me having it drop to 65c than down to 46c after a few seconds is normal but it only happens when I put a quick

Load it on, like prime95. So it may be a different issue

did you swap the cooler or did you stick with the h100?

stuck with the h100, I have no problem with it shooting up to 60c for a bit. these chips can take 100c and most air coolers idle at 50-60c. nothing to worry about. I do suggest you play with the fan settings so more, the cooler has the option to go in "high performance mode" which should stop the problem completely.