FTP Server

ir_cow

Does anyone know of a good FTP server that is cheap? FTP is basically Cloud (C= for dummies) and i know people still host FTP servers i'm just running into a ton of Cloud B.S.

In any case, if no one can give me a good rental server anyone know a useful tutorial on setting up one yourself?

Thanks

Edited by hornybluecow

Setting up an FTP server is very very easy any more. There are several options. I've used Cerberus, Filezilla and even the built in Windows IIS for FTP.

Of the three I really like the Filezilla FTP server. It is super easy to configure and seems very reliable and stable. I've been running it for almost a year now. If you decide to go the self-serve route let me know and I can help you set one up.

Wev

thank you, i'll PM you once i do some reading on Filezillia FTP. my main concern is not having a dedicated IP. It doesn't change often but when it does, it might take a day for it to be set the the new one. Any thoughts of a script that will check the current IP and relay the info?

Edited by hornybluecow

Check out DynDns;

http://dyn.com/dns/

I've got the DYNDNS Pro service and it only runs $1.99 a month. Ties your public IP to a hostname that you can choose and they constantly check your public IP in case your ISP changes it. The other benefit is that you can easily hand out your hostname and not need to know your actual IP.

I guess the only real caveat is for the most trouble free FTP server you should set a static IP on the FTP server that's on the LAN side of your router.

Depending on how much data you need to host and for what purpose I could make you an ftp account and folder on one of my servers. I have done this for a few other OCC members in the past. Since you are an OCC member I wouldn't charge anything.

Check out DynDns;

http://dyn.com/dns/

I've got the DYNDNS Pro service and it only runs $1.99 a month. Ties your public IP to a hostname that you can choose and they constantly check your public IP in case your ISP changes it. The other benefit is that you can easily hand out your hostname and not need to know your actual IP.

I guess the only real caveat is for the most trouble free FTP server you should set a static IP on the FTP server that's on the LAN side of your router.

+1 to this, but they also offer a free version of the service. The domain name would be "name.dyndns.com" (There are a few domain suffixes you can use). Also, the other difference is that instead of them checking your IP if your ISP changes it, you have to check it. However, they have a daemon that will run on a server that checks it at a specified interval. I use the free version and I have DD-WRT on my router which has the IP check feature enabled and it checks my IP address every 24 hours at the approximate hour:minute my lease expires.

+1 to this, but they also offer a free version of the service.

Good point. I started out with the free version a couple years ago and then upgraded to the paid version about six months later. Either way it's a great service.

So i ended up setting a home server up with filezilla but i can't seem to it to show up outside my internal network. I am using a router and i set port forwarding to 21 but it doesn't matter what i try.

Anyone want to give it a ago and tell me if they can connect?

my IP is 68.145.152.166 Username: test Pass: test

Edited by hornybluecow

So i ended up setting a home server up with filezilla but i can't seem to it to show up outside my internal network. I am using a router and i set port forwarding to 21 but it doesn't matter what i try.

Anyone want to give it a ago and tell me if they can connect?

my IP is 69.145.152.166 Username: test Pass: test

Cant connect. Can't even ping it.

:(

does this look right? #

Service Name FTP

Start Port 21

End Port 21

Server IP Address 192.168.1.3

I can also change the server to any port i like, if Bittorrents work why doesnt this.

Edit: I'm going to bypass the router and see if that works but that might be a while.

Edited by hornybluecow