Power suppply dead? Suggest replacement?

My brother's PSU just did this same thing...popped and just had a flickering light on the motherboard. Luckily it didn't take ANYTHING out.

I grabbed one of Airman's Mushkin 800w PSUs for it for a good deal and tossed it in there, fired right up. I didn't realize it at the time, but the fan wasn't spinning, so after a few hours of my brother playing Diablo 3 it shut down from overheating. It ran an i7 920, 4870X2, and three HDDs for HOURS before it actually overheated. That's a hell of a PSU. :lol: It's not Airman's fault though - apparently the fan died in storage. :lol: I've got it apart now to fix it, but even without the fan, it'll run a fairly heavy load for a long time before it gets too hot.

PSUs today are awesome. If this had happened 10 years ago we'd be dealing with a dead computer...twice. :lol:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gr4 - Call Corsair back and ask for an Advanced RMA. Last I knew they still do that, but it is on a case by case basis and it does require a phone call. They can't do it online.

They will require a credit card to secure the transaction, but once it's all completed they will credit the hold back.

Regards,

Gr4 - Call Corsair back and ask for an Advanced RMA. Last I knew they still do that, but it is on a case by case basis and it does require a phone call. They can't do it online.

They will require a credit card to secure the transaction, but once it's all completed they will credit the hold back.

Regards,

I second this. I've never had anything but the best of experiences doing an advance RMA. They'll put a hold on your card but the turnaround time is freaking amazing compared to a standard RMA. Intel is the best with it in my experience (next day shipping, prepaid return label) but I can't imagine Corsair support being anything but top-notch.

Well thanks for the suggestions guys, as it turns out my PSU is actually NOT under warranty, this particular one (for what ever reason) only had a one year warranty and that one year ended march this year.

So looks like I HAVE to buy a new one after all, so I suppose I'll go Corsair, what would you recommend given my rig in sig, 750w? Could I get away with 600w you think? I'm really broke right now and really shouldn't even be spending any money at all but this is my only computer and she's my baby so my GF gave me permission to go ahead and spend the coin on a new one so long as I can keep the cost reasonable.

So I'm trying not to spend more than say $100 ish, could probably go up to $130 tops but I want something that will juice my rig with a little room for more later on. Modularity is a big plus but not really a requirement I guess.

Sent you a PM. You can find some good PSU's new up to 1000W's for up to $130. Not fully modular, nor gold rated, but still solid. If you're looking for 750W Gold rated and modular PSU's, you can get lucky every once in a while and snag one for $135 after MIR.

You'd be fine with a 500 watt PSU to be honest...but you should probably be looking at 650-750 just so you have some room to upgrade in the future.

I highly doubt your rig pulls much more than 400-450 watts at full tilt with Furmark and IBT at the same time.

You'd be fine with a 500 watt PSU to be honest...but you should probably be looking at 650-750 just so you have some room to upgrade in the future.

I highly doubt your rig pulls much more than 400-450 watts at full tilt with Furmark and IBT at the same time.

Those were my thoughts exactly. Just wanted to check with the pro's and make sure :thumbsup:

Well, SB is really efficient, and graphics cards are getting more efficient as well. My i7-2700K at 4.9GHz with two overclocked GTX 680's in SLI with an overclocked GTX 570 as a dedicated PhysX idles at 200W's using a Kill-A-Watt to monitor (PSU at 88% - 92% efficiency).

Prime95 Load = 340W Peak

Prime95 Load + Unigine Heaven v2.1 = 525W Peak (dedicated PhysX card is not utilized with Unigine Heaven)

So, after calculations, this is the actual wattage at 90% efficiency:

Idle = 180W

Prime95 Load = 306W Peak

Prime95 Load + Unigine Heaven v2.1 = 472.5W Peak (dedicated PhysX card is not utilized with Unigine Heaven)

Edited by El_Capitan