Power suppply dead? Suggest replacement?

So last night in the middle of some awesome intense diablo 3 destruction, my computer shuts off.

Immediately I think to my self ". I sprung a leak" I check all my hoses and everything is fine. I press the power button again and it makes a quick screechy noise the lights dimm in the room and nothing happens, none of the fans spin up at all nothing actually gets any power.

Now I noticed the LED on the back of the power supply is orange when I hook up the power cable, after I press the button and it does its little seizure thing the LED goes red.

From what I read on the OCZ power supplies orange means undervoltage and red means overvoltage. So I think its just cooked and has some serious issues. Fortunately I'm guessing the power supply actually saved the rest of my system when it cooked. At least I hope so.

What are your guys' thoughts?

Also I unhooked all my connections to my PSU and jumped it with a paper clip and it does the same exact thing.

I opened an RMA ticket with OCZ hoping they can RMA it. If they can't im searching for a PSU that will power my system and more that I can buy for about $100 or less. I'm thinking 750 watts will do. Rig is in the sig.

Should I go with Antec? Whats the best PSU manufacturer these days?

How about this PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371049

I know Corsair is regarded highly however I noticed that ALL their power supplies have just one 12v rail where as the antec one I'm looking at is similarly priced but has 4 12v rails.

Edited by Gr4vitas

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stick by Corsair. Even though they rebrand their PSU's, they pick good PSU's, and their Customer Support is top notch. Single rail is fine. All mine are single rail PSU's and I've run some heavy stuff at times, except everything now is so power efficient.

I stick by Corsair. Even though they rebrand their PSU's, they pick good PSU's, and their Customer Support is top notch. Single rail is fine. All mine are single rail PSU's and I've run some heavy stuff at times, except everything now is so power efficient.

Well it looks like my OCZ 1000w is still under the 5 year warrenty so their going to replace it, which by the way they don't make that power supply anymore so they'll probably be sending me something brand new thats at least 1000w.

The only suckatude thing is that I have to wait for who knows how long to get this RMA done. Probably 3+ weeks. That means no games for me for 3+ weeks. Going to be a crappy month :(

I almost wish I could just have them send me a check for the cost I paid for it so I could just go buy a Corsair and have a new power supply in my rig in 1 day and be back up and running.

Well it looks like my OCZ 1000w is still under the 5 year warrenty so their going to replace it, which by the way they don't make that power supply anymore so they'll probably be sending me something brand new thats at least 1000w.

The only suckatude thing is that I have to wait for who knows how long to get this RMA done. Probably 3+ weeks. That means no games for me for 3+ weeks. Going to be a crappy month :(

I almost wish I could just have them send me a check for the cost I paid for it so I could just go buy a Corsair and have a new power supply in my rig in 1 day and be back up and running.

Goto best buy or microcenter or something, and buy a PSU, use it for a few weeks, then return it on the 90-day return policy, you'll get charged a 15% restocking fee, but worth it if you dont lose your computer for 3 weeks.

If you can RMA it just wait and see...no reason to spend money you don't have to. :)

As much as I hate having my system down for who knows how long, im broke right now anyway so I'll probably just have to end up waiting for the whole RMA process to complete.

Side note: Dammit I REALLY don't want rip out all my cable management and re do it all again with the new PSU. On top of that I'm going to have to work around the watercooling this time as its already installed.

Not worth draining removing and re doing my entire WC setup when its 5 months old to re do a few cables that come out front.

Le sigh :pfp:

Corsair is great, Kingwin is being doing great for me, Antec always seems a little cheap on the PSU side to me(from the ones I have owned), Also Seasonic, XFX and OCZ are high end.

I'm Sorry to hear about your power supply I feel your pain :cry: that's happened to me before :P But i also about 3.5-4 months ago bought my rosewill hive series 750w power supply and couldn't be any Happier newegg it I hope your system is ok...

Yea I just really hope it didn't take anything with it when it died. These days they build them all with lots of protection built in and you don't really see PSU's nuking systems anymore but I suppose there is still a chance.

It's just scary when your PSU cooks knowing all your expensive hardware was hooked up to it when it did regardless.

Now would be a good time to get a backup psu. This would be good for later use and you could still have your rma plus a backup unit. I always keep a spare. Just cant imagine waiting for one to come in.

Now would be a good time to get a backup psu. This would be good for later use and you could still have your rma plus a backup unit. I always keep a spare. Just cant imagine waiting for one to come in.

I have an AX1200 BNIB for a spare, lol.