Alpha Test Demo for my upcoming game!

ClayMeow

Watched the video. Not exactly sure what bug(s) you were showing. I saw you were trying to backtrack and jump back over the slope...is not being able to jump back the "bug" you were referring to? Is there a reason you didn't continue forward?

The descriptions were in the comments.

1st section was the character stuck and couldn't move (hard to replicate). 2nd part after page refresh the character jumped repeatedly on its own after I jumped onto the shelve once (I press space once, starts at 1m25s). 2nd part is easy to replicate.

Edited by AZNguyen

The descriptions were in the comments.

1st section was the character stuck and couldn't move (hard to replicate). 2nd part after page refresh the character jumped repeatedly on its own after I jumped onto the shelve once (I press space once, starts at 1m25s). 2nd part is easy to replicate.

ahhh, okay. Sorry for misunderstanding. Interesting.

Thanks for the video!

As Project Leader, you should incorporate some QA. ;)

Make a spreadsheet or use Bugzilla for a list of bugs or enhancements to work on. Make sure it's tested on different browsers and resolutions, and the set-up is described for each bug, with repro steps.

I like the concept though.

The other thing I had a hard time with was the intro. It says in the intro that this little girls sister is trying to find her. But if you shine the flash light at yourself it looks like a man.

The other thing that I noticed a lack of was an antagonist. This seems like a cool concept for a zombie game. It would be awesome if like zombies were trying to take the little girl and you had to use your flashlight to see the zombie hoards coming your way. Then you could get some weapons like a crobar or something and just start beating the crap out of zombies to get to the little girl. THAT would be cool. :thumbsup:

The other thing I had a hard time with was the intro. It says in the intro that this little girls sister is trying to find her. But if you shine the flash light at yourself it looks like a man.

The other thing that I noticed a lack of was an antagonist. This seems like a cool concept for a zombie game. It would be awesome if like zombies were trying to take the little girl and you had to use your flashlight to see the zombie hoards coming your way. Then you could get some weapons like a crobar or something and just start beating the crap out of zombies to get to the little girl. THAT would be cool. :thumbsup:

This game is in alpha. Meaning, very early on in development. I'm sure Clay and his team have a bunch of ideas for the game, but right now, it is in an early alpha stage to, presumably, make sure the controls work and get an idea of the graphical style.

As Project Leader, you should incorporate some QA. ;)

You do realize that's the whole point of usability testing, right? We're going to be running tests at several junctures in the game development platform...this happening to be an extremely early one.

This game is in alpha. Meaning, very early on in development. I'm sure Clay and his team have a bunch of ideas for the game, but right now, it is in an early alpha stage to, presumably, make sure the controls work and get an idea of the graphical style.

Yep, exactly. This is an extremely small sample of the greater game. For this semester, we basically wanted to get one early platform level done to test mechanics. It's a lot easier to improve a small portion of a game rather than having to go back and change an entire game. Later in the week, I will post the concept and direction the game will be heading, but I don't want to skew usability results right now.

To give you an idea of what the art looks like, here is the initial storyboard sketch of the hallway level:

hallwayconcept.jpg

Unfortunately, you don't get to see most of this with the complete darkness, so we plan on reworking the flashlight to not only make it bigger, but feather it out on the sides. And then we were just discussing possibly creating a second mask on top of the protagonist with maybe like a 80% opacity to see a faded version of her at all times.

My non-anon survey is the one where question 9 is answered like so:

Yes, if the bloom of the flashlight exposed a slightly visible radius near the flashlight rather than pure black. So not enough to make it completely visible but enough to make out maybe basic outlines and stuff. In other words, you would be able to make out the kid's feet and immediate surrounding but only in outline form.

Nice job - keep it up!

EDIT:

Ahh, now it makes more sense what that white object was (upstairs rail). I thought I was still in her bedroom. They sure need to take care of their house! Horrible parents must be the last boss!

Edited by Fogel

My non-anon survey is the one where question 9 is answered like so:

Nice job - keep it up!

EDIT:

Ahh, now it makes more sense what that white object was (upstairs rail). I thought I was still in her bedroom. They sure need to take care of their house! Horrible parents must be the last boss!

Well the intro doesn't show it completely, but aside from the thunder and power going out, there's also an earthquake too, thus the wreckage. All sounds are made from scratch and we haven't created an earthquake one yet.

I like the style of the artwork. Nice to see it as a whole since in game is limited to a tiny sliver.

Thanks. Yeah, the general consensus of people we show the artwork too is basically "i want to see this in the game!" lol

Never guessed an earthquake happens, and I agree... the artwork is too unique to show so little of it. Even if lightning came in every now and then and lit the place up it would help out.

Never guessed an earthquake happens, and I agree... the artwork is too unique to show so little of it. Even if lightning came in every now and then and lit the place up it would help out.

Funny you mention that. We've discussed that in class that maybe every time we enter a "room", thunder and lightning occur, illuminating the room for a few seconds before it goes black. That way, aside from seeing the artwork, players can get a quick glimpse of the layout.

Funny you mention that. We've discussed that in class that maybe every time we enter a "room", thunder and lightning occur, illuminating the room for a few seconds before it goes black. That way, aside from seeing the artwork, players can get a quick glimpse of the layout.

I like that idea, but i must admit i also think it adds to the experience not being able to see very much.