Alpha Test Demo for my upcoming game!

ClayMeow

As many of you know by now, I'm going for my Masters in Digital Game Design and Development.

I am Project Leader for my group thesis project due a year from now. For this semester, we put together a quick alpha test demo to test the concept and mechanics.

The demo can be played from here. (Flash game, so no downloaded needed!)

The demo is VERY SHORT and you'll probably finish it in roughly ONE MINUTE. This will eventually be a full game (hopefully even Steam-worthy). After usability testing is done, I can explain the concept more, but don't want to give anything away prior.

A kwiksurveys usability test can be taken here: http://kwiksurveys.com/?u=deadofnight

If you don't feel like using kwiksurveys.com, you can comment in this thread using the questions below (though it's a lot easier for me to compile results if you use kwiksurveys):

1. What experience, if any, do you have with PC platformers?

2. When you saw the title screen, what did you think the game would be about?

3. How long did it take you to find the "play" button?

4. What feelings, if any, did the opening cutscene evoke in you?

5. How did you feel about the voice acting?

6. When gameplay began, how long did it take you to figure out the controls?

7. How easily or hard could you make out the environment?

8. Did you feel the size of the flashlight was adequate for navigating the area?

9. Would you be interested in seeing more of this game in the future?

10. Did you notice the footstep sounds? If so, did you like them or find them distracting?

11. Did you like the black-and-white scheme or were you hoping for some color?

12. What do you think of the control scheme?

13. Any other comments?

I have assigned one of my group members to analyze the test results, so it's definitely better if you can take the survey. Be sure to answer the last question, saying you found it on OCC, so everyone on my team knows how awesome, helpful and dedicated you all are! The survey is completely anonymous, though you can obviously post whatever you want in here and PLEASE BE BRUTALLY HONEST!

We need to turn in analysis Tuesday afternoon, so it would be nice if you took this by tomorrow (Monday) night.

So just like my past two games, I once again call upon OCC for help! Do me proud!

THANKS!!!

Ummm I couldn't jump with space could move left and right swing my light round but no jump working for me so i just got stuck at the ledge.

Jumping is disabled while crouched. Hit SHIFT to stand up and you should be able to jump. We're looking into it...SHIFT is behaving differently on Windows and MacOS :glare:

Ummm I couldn't jump with space could move left and right swing my light round but no jump working for me so i just got stuck at the ledge.

Jumping worked for me, got the hang of it and finished extremely quick. In general i liked it.

Had the same issue with not being able to jump. Shift didn't seem to pull me out of "crouch" to jump either. :P

Dunno if it matters but I'm running Chrome...

Hmmm...we should have probably asked the browser being used as a question. Will have to remember to do so next time :(

Hmmm...we should have probably asked the browser being used as a question. Will have to remember to do so next time :(

Just a suggestion - I know some things work better in IE (barf for me saying that) on the Fox, or whatnot... usually just switch to get things to work, but yea...

Well, there are a ton of bugs on Opera. Thankfully for you no one seems to use opera but me :P . I used Ie like blue panda suggested and it worked just fine.

I was also sort of disappointed by the scope of the flash light. it did not make things difficult, it just made it annoying.

Other then that fix, I would say the game is ok. It is hard for me to make an opinion, because I did not really understand what was going on. I am sure as the game becomes more full bodied, that a better story line will emerge. But gme play wise it was interesting. It was like super mario brothers, but with flash lights.

Well, there are a ton of bugs on Opera. Thankfully for you no one seems to use opera but me :P . I used Ie like blue panda suggested and it worked just fine.

I was also sort of disappointed by the scope of the flash light. it did not make things difficult, it just made it annoying.

Other then that fix, I would say the game is ok. It is hard for me to make an opinion, because I did not really understand what was going on. I am sure as the game becomes more full bodied, that a better story line will emerge. But gme play wise it was interesting. It was like super mario brothers, but with flash lights.

Thanks for the feedback :). What you said certainly makes sense.