My first PC gaming build :)

Gamer76

ok yep I def want to get 2 x 22 or 23 inch screens. what about if I get two of

Gigabyte ATI HD 7850 OC Edition PCI-E 3.0, 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 ($274 each) . this makes 4GB.

would these two cards be ok for my mobo ?

cheers

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They would be perfectly fine, it's actually a much better deal than 570s.

Looks like I was seriously not awake this morning :lol:

Cool thing about the 7xxx series and crossfire is amd zero core which basically means that when you don't need the power and are just using 2D applications browsing the net etc, that the slave card/s completely shut off which is good for temps and and power consumption.

Cool thing about the 7xxx series and crossfire is amd zero core which basically means that when you don't need the power and are just using 2D applications browsing the net etc, that the slave card/s completely shut off which is good for temps and and power consumption.

Thats cool to know !! thanks for telling me. After reading about Ivy bridge CPU , I was consider wait til it gets here but after reading some review on them that it gets real hot and uses twice as much power consumption........ So I've decided to stick with i7 2600k for now .

thank you !!! cant wait to start building !! and scared at the same time if i plug the wiring in wrong spots lol ... i'll definately be reading the manuals :P

Alright :) I'm gonna get these list after all day research of pros and cons and here they are

CPU - Intel i7 2600k - $309

CPU Cooler - CM Hyper 212 Evo - $40

Mobo - Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 - $147

RAM - Corsair vengance Cas 9 1600 DDR3 8GB (2x4GB) - $57

PSU - Silverstone Strider Plus silver 850watt - $157

GPU - 1x Asus DC-II GTX 570s - $356 OR 1 x Gainward GeForce GTX 570 1280MB Goes Like Hell Edition ($329)

OS - Win 7 Home Prem 64bit - $92

Case - Chaser MK-1 - $160

SSD - Intel 120GB 520 series - $195

I've been reading about either of these GPU cards. I've read that Gainward are noisy and Asus has poor fan flow.

Could I have your opinion of one of them two GPUs. which one should I go for ? or get a different card.?

It has to have two DVI ports on one card so i can hook on two monitors.

Another opinion on CPU i7 3770 3.4GHz Ivy bridge $339 . Is it worth waiting and to get Ivy CPU for extra $30 ?

I will order them sometime next week :D

I would say that it is worth the extra $30 because it gives a greater performance and the latest tech. I can not cry for $30 when I am building a new pc. You will be gaming and having fun for about five years easy. You will change gpu long before the cpu depending on the game and resolution. Check the OCC review http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/intel_corei7_3770k/.

If you plan on water cooling within the year then don't bother with the air cooler unless the cpu does not come with the stock air cooler.

1335674720[/url]' post='2021933']

I've been reading about either of these GPU cards. I've read that Gainward are noisy and Asus has poor fan flow.

Could I have your opinion of one of them two GPUs. which one should I go for ? or get a different card.?

It has to have two DVI ports on one card so i can hook on two monitors.

Another opinion on CPU i7 3770 3.4GHz Ivy bridge $339 . Is it worth waiting and to get Ivy CPU for extra $30 ?

I will order them sometime next week :D

The Gainward (or Palit) Mercury coolers aren't the best ones in the market so expect some noise and higher temps then the better kinds like MSI TF series or ASUS DCII. However, that 'Goes Like Hell' branding isn't only for show. Those GLH card are meant to be overclock and usually they do overclock like hell. The coolers does a good job cooling it at stock but when overclocked, the card could get a little warm (not a major issue really.)

The ASUS DCII cooler is one of the best GPU coolers I know and they really keep your temps down while having very minimal noise. But the Gigantic size of it can be an issue for some, especially those doing SLI. The 2.5 slot cooler means that some motherboards layout wouldn't be able to do SLI since the big size takes up another slot. Today many board manufacturers employs a layout that can handle the DCII cards in SLI but both cards would be very close together that it might limit airflow for the card on top.

Personally I would get the Gainward GLH since it performs very well and you shouldn't have any problems with the temps in a well ventilated case. But if you plan on doing SLI, I suggest you look for an MSI Twin Frozr III cards instead or go with the Radeon 78xx series. Also, don't bother with IB. They do have a better performance/clock ratio but it isn't worth the temperature threshold when overclocking, especially since you're only going to use an Hyper212. The Hyper212 is a great cooler for it's price and can handle SB just fine. But I doubt it could coop with the increased temperatures of IB. Looks like Intel is going to have another Drama with IB and it's use of thermal paste.

:cheers:

P.S anyone know how to skip a line when using an iPad? They won't let me skip a line using 'Enter' like PC doesdown2.gif

Edited by vandreadstriker

It's very obvious that you did a LOT of research on this build. You are going to have yourself a really nice PC, but since you posted this in the worklog section you are now obligated to share pics and progress with us. :happy:

While I would pick the ASUS 570 in a single card decision, if you think you will be going SLI in the future than I would get a MSI Twin Frozr III. Mostly because the ASUS card takes up two slots and it will be harder to work with and limit airflow in your case. I'm not crazy about MSI, but that is one their products I would trust. But if it is only between the ASUS and Gainward ...well then, again depends how headstrong you are about going SLI down the road - ASUS for single, Gainward for SLI. I would rather spend more up front on a good single card solution than go SLI/CF. For example, if I was buying now I would spend the money for a GTX 680. Though with your Aussie prices, probably the 7970 ($100 cheaper :blink:).

Oh and don't go IB. It runs hotter and won't amount to anything in gaming performance. Stick with Sandy, because she treats us right.

:cheers:

Edited by Fogel

• 4 weeks later...

Ok finally got my 3 massive parcels today all the way from Melbourne pccasegear.com. A big thank you to Stonerboy to let me know about this PC store online ... I recieved 3 parcels within 3 days after i paid for it. I;m impressed with fast postage. Anyway heres a pic or two of it. Yes I tweaked abit to get sabertooth Z77 while it was on special . Anyway I 'll start putting them together possibly this weekend or next week cos I need to concetrate on my exams/test and assignments going on atm.

post-86200-0-53465900-1337770944_thumb.jpg

post-86200-0-54482500-1337770988_thumb.jpg

alright ... i;ve set this thing up all day today .... pretty tired atm. Now i;ve got a problem ...... when i started it up .. i heard one long beep then 4 or 5 short beeps.. I;ve looked it up and it said hardware failure........ I can see the motherboard page and it said CPU fan is in RED but its plugged in and its spins ... what am i doing wrong?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/221/dscf2962pu.jpg/

does all this look right to you ?