PlayStation 4 (PS4)

Fogel

Added some more information to the article. 

When I am able to edit posts again I will edit the OP.   I am guessing they scraped the name Orbis?   I haven't had time to read your article or watch the video yet.

It's possible Sony introduces a conversion process for a cost, but for the PSP-to-Vita, they only offered that service in Japan, so who knows.

That is what the real solution needs to be.   Let me catelog the games I own so I can download them on new gen architecture.  Though that would be a PITA to implement with the whole Rental/Used/Borrow Game market so it would probably never happen though sure would be nice for us legit people.

I thought they announced during the demo it was being run on the PC.  Game didn't impress me anyway so could care less, I just remember it being run on the PC.

The Orbis name was more than likely a codename. I'm sure the official name could have been the Orbis at one point, but the PlayStation name is so iconic that Sony would shoot themselves in the foot if they didn't stick with it, imo.

There was talk that it may stick because of the Vita so they could have that Circle of Life theme going on, but I think it was just conjuncture of the websites that like to write articles.

Good news in that game prices will pretty much remain the same as they are now. So, $1 to $60, plus that ability to try out any game before you actually drop the cash.

Handy list of every supported disc and streaming service, so far. Unfortunately, no audio CDs or SACDs are able to play on the PS4. (Go go Google Translate.)

I wonder if its just a lack of software support for playing regular CDs?

Sort of like how the Wii was able to play DVDs, you just needed a mediaplayer on it.

Depends. Reading a CD requires a different laser than reading a DVD (and obviously Blu-Ray) so if that laser is not included, then there would be no physical way for it to read the discs. I'm not sure what benefit they may get from not including the CD laser, but without it there is nothing you can do.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OP updated - thanks for the updates everyone

Lots of information added, be sure to check it out.  If you don't like the format let me know.  I tried to make so anyone looking for a specific answer can find it immediately.

Lots of information added, be sure to check it out.  If you don't like the format let me know.  I tried to make so anyone looking for a specific answer can find it immediately.

Looks good, however, what is your source for this statement: "Emulated games will be available for purchase (PS1 - PS3)"

Pretty sure that's incorrect - there will not be emulation, Sony will be using its Gaikai cloud-gaming service for PS3 and older games.

Looks good, however, what is your source for this statement: "Emulated games will be available for purchase (PS1 - PS3)"

Pretty sure that's incorrect - there will not be emulation, Sony will be using its Gaikai cloud-gaming service for PS3 and older games.

Interview with Yoshida by IGN.  The PS4 will not be able to play older discs, but there are two ways around this:

• Emulation - which according to Yoshida the PS4 is capable of
  • Cloud Services - enter Gaikai

Problem is nothing has been decided.  That comment I made sure makes it sound official so I will edit that and clarify it.  Thanks for correcting me on that.  I have some other small things to add, such as the PS4 will have the ability to multi-task.