Car Audio / New Deck.

greengiant912

Thats the thing, my next car will likely have all this stuff integrated already.

I usually buy harnesses for my deck installs, for this I need to get an adapter anyways for the GM onstar system to function right...

Car manufactures are making it harder to replace the stock units, which could be due to better technology now and days, and more integrated cars.

Which is why I will never do a cashie on new cars for a mate. Even years of experience can mean jack when you work on some of the new cars, you want full shop warranties to do that kinda work.

However my new and first car once I eventually get it will have a premium sound kit by GM and I will be using an audison bit 1 sound processor, unknown amps and likely hertz or focal splits with unknown subs possibly Boston tho.

If you going with the sound processed factory intergrated on your next car and plan to change cars inside of two years. I would definately say single din deck with xm radio functions, nothing too flashy the stock speakers will still bring it down and grab the facia.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya I have unlimited data plan so I never really think about peoples data. with that said I stream Pandora, netflix, siriusXM all the time as in 8 hours a day on my data plan and i think most I have ever used in a month is 3.5gb maybe 3.7gb and they texted me the 5% text message like 1 day before my new month of data starting over.

Personally I wouldn't buy a pioneer other then the app radio, and the only reason i would buy it is because it works well with the iphones. I have installed about 40 or 50 of them and only 1 has ever had a problem, windows ce got corrupted on it some how and it had to get sent back to pioneer to get it reloaded. TBH tho most companys have skimed on their decks lately tho not just pioneer. Sony is actually makeing some pretty decent head units now, i'd still stay away from thier amps and speakers. the MEX-BT3000P from sony would actully work well for what your looking for and it's only 129.99 at retailers, find it on sale or online prolly much cheaper. Kenwoods are good radios now, even better if you go with an exelon version.

Also just to add, when it's a BT audio radio, it will still play siriusxm and pandors, and netflix, and lastfm, iheart radio, whatever audio you want through the BT link, you just don't get to controll the thumbs up and down and crap like that. You could also likely get the adaptor to plug into the back of your factory radio to add all these features your looking for, for around 200 bucks as well, and then your not spending the 150 on the harness the 20 on a dash kit and another 20 on an antenna adapter, not to mention the steering wheel interface if you have steering wheel controls.

Ya I have unlimited data plan so I never really think about peoples data. with that said I stream Pandora, netflix, siriusXM all the time as in 8 hours a day on my data plan and i think most I have ever used in a month is 3.5gb maybe 3.7gb and they texted me the 5% text message like 1 day before my new month of data starting over.

Personally I wouldn't buy a pioneer other then the app radio, and the only reason i would buy it is because it works well with the iphones. I have installed about 40 or 50 of them and only 1 has ever had a problem, windows ce got corrupted on it some how and it had to get sent back to pioneer to get it reloaded. TBH tho most companys have skimed on their decks lately tho not just pioneer. Sony is actually makeing some pretty decent head units now, i'd still stay away from thier amps and speakers. the MEX-BT3000P from sony would actully work well for what your looking for and it's only 129.99 at retailers, find it on sale or online prolly much cheaper. Kenwoods are good radios now, even better if you go with an exelon version.

Also just to add, when it's a BT audio radio, it will still play siriusxm and pandors, and netflix, and lastfm, iheart radio, whatever audio you want through the BT link, you just don't get to controll the thumbs up and down and crap like that. You could also likely get the adaptor to plug into the back of your factory radio to add all these features your looking for, for around 200 bucks as well, and then your not spending the 150 on the harness the 20 on a dash kit and another 20 on an antenna adapter, not to mention the steering wheel interface if you have steering wheel controls.

Ive looked into those bluetooth kits for stock GM systems that replace the onstar system, unfortunately there isn't one that works from my research.

I have unlimited data too, but unlimited isn't really unlimited by ATT's standards lol...

The biggest problem I have with the APP radio is that it is dependent on your phone, I dont want to have to plug my phone in all the time, I want to be able to have the phone in my pocket and have access to the radio and such. App Radio is too dependent on your phone. Pioneer dose make one that is less dependent on your phone that was posted earlier, but its a lot more expensive :-\

I am likely going to be holding onto this car for awhile even though I want to trade it in... Thing is I really should pay off my student loan and such before buying a new car lol...

id recommend something like this possibly.

http://www.parrot.com/usa/products/bluetooth-hands-free-car-kits

they also make a radio, not sure on the quality their hf kits are pretty good tho.

I have the DNX7180 from kenwood, and I love it. I hardley ever use the cable and leave my phone in my pocket all the time and stream pandora and ipod and siriusxm through the bt i just can't thumbs up stuff but it works like a champ and even loads the song info and album art. I also had the hd radio tuner on it, and sirusxm tuner, but mostly i just btaudio from my phone lol. it was like 1299.99 retail when i got it, I paid something like 850 i think it was last year around this time for it, and now they are on sale for that price or lower since new models are coming out, prolly can find one online really cheap, but it'll still be an expensive radio.

id recommend something like this possibly.

http://www.parrot.com/usa/products/bluetooth-hands-free-car-kits

they also make a radio, not sure on the quality their hf kits are pretty good tho.

Do you experience the same problems with parrot that we do in Aus.

That is the either work and they work fantastically in fact the quality and clarity of sound especially from their music plus kits which offer direct ipod control and file searching on usb.

However the number of out of box failures is a lot higher than would be hoped but as said when they work they work flawlessly.

Never touched nor had the radio stocked when I was still doing installs.

Do you experience the same problems with parrot that we do in Aus.

That is the either work and they work fantastically in fact the quality and clarity of sound especially from their music plus kits which offer direct ipod control and file searching on usb.

However the number of out of box failures is a lot higher than would be hoped but as said when they work they work flawlessly.

Never touched nor had the radio stocked when I was still doing installs.

Some of the very first ones back in like 2000 I had some issues with them, but all their new ones I haven't had any issues with yet. Most issues I have ever had could be fixed with firmware updates and such, but like I said any of the new ones I have done have worked great. Maybe I just been lucky tho.

Some of the very first ones back in like 2000 I had some issues with them, but all their new ones I haven't had any issues with yet. Most issues I have ever had could be fixed with firmware updates and such, but like I said any of the new ones I have done have worked great. Maybe I just been lucky tho.

Fair enough when I was still doing it (8-9 months ago now) we were getting probably 2-3 out of box failures to every failure from other companies, blue ant, bury ect. So it wasn't huge or anything but would have been nice if it was less, never had anyone return either except to have identical kits installed in a second car.

However as a kit the way they respond and the controls is spot on for what I would want out of them.

Fair enough when I was still doing it (8-9 months ago now) we were getting probably 2-3 out of box failures to every failure from other companies, blue ant, bury ect. So it wasn't huge or anything but would have been nice if it was less, never had anyone return either except to have identical kits installed in a second car.

However as a kit the way they respond and the controls is spot on for what I would want out of them.

Dang thats alot.

The only thing I have ever encountered really on the new ones is, android phones tend to have apps that block access to certian bt features, so you can reset them and it will fix them np. With iphones once again no issues with at&t, but the verizon versions have a different system that some times effects the BT. It's not the HF kit tho it's always the phone.

Im likely going to order something this week.

I have some questions about wiring it up however.

With GMs you need a special adapter to keep the chimes and onstar, etc... There are two kits that crutchfield recommends, do I still need to purchase a wire harness or is that included with the adapter?

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120OSLAN01/GM-Factory-Integration-Adapter.html

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120GMOS100/GMOS-100-GM-Factory-Integration-Adapter.html

I think this adapter will work fine, since the other one is for features I dont even have equipped on my vehicle http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120OSLAN01/GM-Factory-Integration-Adapter.html

Will this use the microphone that the onstar is using for the bluetooth?

My 2006 Monte Carlo is the base LS version with the very basic GM head unit (no xm, just shows the clock), when I enter my vehicle info at crutchfield they give me two options. One with amp attached to package tray below rear deck, and the other without amp attached to package tray below rear deck. I am assuming my car doesn't have the amp attached as it is the most basic of the stock stereo systems GM offers. Without the amp they say I need this relay http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120E5000/Metra-E5000.html (which is free with the new head unit). Is it ok to asume that I have the one without the amp? don't really want to take it apart to just check lol...

Crutchfield is pretty darn good about providing the instructions tailored to your vehicle.

I am leaning towards the AVH P4400BH....

ya if you get metra parts it should be a gmos-lan1, i think these are the upgraded versions of their old harnesses which would be gmos1. If your near a best buy or some other local car audio shop you can get the correct harness there if you end up with the wrong one form crutchfield.com

You can check all the parts at http://www.metraonline.com or http://www.scosche.com/car-audio/products

both make good install parts.

Also what size heat shrink tubing do I need for the wiring harness, will 3mm be fine?

yeah if your going to solder and heatshrink your connections just take the harness from the radio down to radio shack and check what size will work best normally the power and ground are bigger then the rest. I don't really heatshrink any installs, typically I just use crimp caps, or butt splices. Alertantively you could just use electrical tape on your soldered connections as well. Just tightly wrap electrical tape around each connection, then use 2 small cable ties, 1 on each end of the electrical tape to ensure it will not unravel.