Finally did my first overclock

So my buddy just built another pc and went with water cooling, he was talking about his overclock on his I7-920 overclocked to 4.3ghz. I decided since I spent all this money on the higher end stuff I would just go ahead and give it a go. I watched numerous youtube videos and read few write ups. So I went in and started off my overclock at 4.5ghz.

The computer booted right up after the OC, I have it enabled to run at 1600 when on desktop and idle. I went ahead and ran intelburntest V2, Unigine tropics, and then Prime95 for 8 runs.

On the first two tests I encountered no problems, passed both flying colors. Then on prime95 my cpu temps would climax at temps of 70 and average out at 65 under the full load. My only concern with this is that when the prime95 test would finish my computer would shut off and turn back on, once it turned back on i ran the test again to see what would happen and again ran fine through it all, temps were same as last time, and it turned off at end of test again.

To sum it all up I am just nervous as it is my first ever build and first time ever overclocking. I just want to check if this is normal and get any opinions and advice I can from those of you who are veteran overclocker's

Also during Unigine my average FPS were 78, max was 130, and low was 50 with my card at quality over performance and all unigine settings maxed.

Edited by NerdGoneWild

Great Going You Can Go To 5 GHz Mark I only Overclocked Only By Seeing Other Members But Due To My Cooling Limitation I Cant Go Further

On an I7 920, not without special cooling :P

OP, what are your current BIOS settings?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5wf8sRebyo&feature=related

I followed this video closely, I changed voltages slightly. I played with voltage since it crashed during firefox use and league of legends. After changing voltages to a slightly lower amount it ran stable all night, played 5 hours of games etc no problems. Then today I turned on skyrim and soon as it loaded, system shut down...Does this indicate I need to lower the voltage or increase the voltage? how much increments should i increase/decrease by.

On an I7 920, not without special cooling :P

OP, what are your current BIOS settings?