Water Cooling Rad Advice needed plz

The Apogee XT rev 2 will get a few degrees better and like Elcaptan said, 240mm rad will handle the heat dissapation. You should easily get 4.3GHz.

Edited by Drdeath

The Apogee XT rev 2 will get a few degrees better and like Elcaptan said, 240mm rad will handle the heat dissapation. You should easily get 4.3GHz.

A 240mm rad cooling an i7 930 alone would be able to hit 4.3GHz, but add the GPU in the loop and I think 4.3GHz would be getting lucky. I know when my i7 930 was on its own loop with a 240mm rad, 4.3GHz was the max OC I could get out of it and my chip was a beast! It hit 4.65GHz for benches and ran over 4.5GHz LinX stable with a 360mm rad

OP if you are wanting 4GHz out of your i7 930, then you could probably get away with the 240mm rad for both the CPU and GPU

A 240mm rad cooling an i7 930 alone would be able to hit 4.3GHz, but add the GPU in the loop and I think 4.3GHz would be getting lucky. I know when my i7 930 was on its own loop with a 240mm rad, 4.3GHz was the max OC I could get out of it and my chip was a beast! It hit 4.65GHz for benches and ran over 4.5GHz LinX stable with a 360mm rad

OP if you are wanting 4GHz out of your i7 930, then you could probably get away with the 240mm rad for both the CPU and GPU

Wicked, I found someone to buy my old case for $100 so I only need to pay $80 for the new one, I'll be getting the 360mm rad now, with the CPU and GPU hopefuly I can squeeze the 4.3GHz.

Currently I have a i7-3930 and a GTX285SSC in a single loop cooled by a switftech MCR240... CPU is currently clocked at 4.5ghz (~1.3v) and load temps where in the mid-high 60's when I left it (folding) this morning for work.. I'll check and see how it's doing when I get home.. though I am pushing that little rad's capabilities...

(in a first gen antec900 case, MCP355+res top and rad is inside at the front.. a bit of a tight fit with a dvd, SSD and HD above it)

I would like to put some inpu tin on the loop the OP has listed. I tried it the other day when i put my loop back in my system. The restriction seems to be too much going in a series thru a Graphics block to a Rad then to the CPU Block then another rad. It appeared the pressure dropped off to much in my system on the flow meter when I was leak testing so I did not even bother to turn on the sytem while it was set up like that. I instead went back to how i had it set up before and it was from the pump with a Y fitting basically splitting it into 2 loops, I sent 1 loop from the pump to the graphics card to the black ice 240 to the resivor. The second part of the loop went from the pump to the CPU to a 120 Black Ice to the resivor. At the resivor I hhave a second Y to join the lines back together before they enter. Just some food for thought.

Welcome to the forums.

My system consists of:

1 Black Ice 240mm

1 Black Ice 120mm

1 Swiftech Apogee XT Rev 2

1 EK GeForce 590 GTX VGA Liquid Cooling Block - Acetal + Electroless Nickel Plated (EK-FC590 GTX - Acetal+EN (Nickel))

1 Swiftech MCP655™ 12v Water Pump w/ Speed Control

I have used Tygon 3/8 ID hose through out the entire system.

It is all housed in a HAF 922 case.

Splitting your loop like that is a very bad idea aspevacek.

Series is the much smarter choice. None of those blocks you have are high restriction and a D5 pump can easily handle all that stuff in series in parallel of a single pump it will perform poorly.

3771635_orig.jpg

here is a quick blueprint I did on photoshop... :thumbsup:

Terrible setup. It will be pretty restrictive(pump is not the best for the setup) and the 240MM rad can handle evrything. Just use the 240MM rad. Plus the loop goes to the GOU 1st? Wow, even worse.

Edited by Drdeath

I am basing it off what I saw on the flow meter. The meter was barely rotating at all with it in series. After splitting it the way it is now everything is flowing great....

My GPUs under load playing SWtOR are at about 38 deg

the CPU is setting at 36 deg

why is it a bad idea to set up the loop as I have it set up? I saw it as a way to release restricton on the system and cut out pressure drops as it crosses thru the blocks and rads which all introduce restriction to the system? Please elaberate on why it is a bad idea I am alway sopen to learn things that I may have over looked when laying out my system.

Splitting the pump output will result in an uneven flow because the water will flow fastest along the easiest rout. So unless both loops have exactly the same restriction, one will flow better.

Also as to why it almost slowed to a stop that is another issue. I would suggest you switch back to a single series loop and look at the comparison in temps.

You are getting alright temps at the moment so I suppose you are lucky it is splitting fairly evenly. However start it up in series.

Terrible setup. It will be pretty restrictive(pump is not the best for the setup) and the 240MM rad can handle evrything. Just use the 240MM rad. Plus the loop goes to the GOU 1st? Wow, even worse.

I was just writing an idea of a setup...and secondly....it goes to the CPU first not GPU...when has the inlet ever been under the outlet on the res?...and the OP is getting a 360mm now i think...so he could do that layout just without the 120mm rad...:thumbsup:

The pump isn't as terrible as you're making it sound. Also - you of all people should know that the loop order matters very little.