Messing with TEC

scr4wl

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I decided I wanted to see what the TRUE + Peltier combination would do if the chip wasn't generating heat:

IMAG0703.jpg

IMAG0701.jpg

Any way, I've decided that I will do TEC properly, and in the next week or so will be ordering the one that Boinker linked. (Unless I can find an even better one. :) )

Keep in mind that TECs need very high mounting pressures to stay alive, isally 200+lbs. An IHS can hold hold 80lbs of claming force, so usually this is done by sandwiching them between two pieces of copper that are bolted tightly together with thermal epoxy, then put the cooler of choice(usually water) on the hot plate.

Single TEC usually isnt enough for modern computers though, especially a 50mm one. You need dual 50mm TECs or the monster 62mm ones. Also keep in mind that the cooler you use needs to be able to dissipate the heat from both the chip PLUS the TEC. A single 50mm might get the chip to idle nice and cool, but at load you may end up HOTTER then air cooling, since they work on temperature deltas - the colder you can keep the hot side, the colder you can get the cold side to. This is why they work so well stacked.

You can also make a pass-through water chiller, buy basically tapping a rectangular metal box with 1/2" barbs, slapping a TEC to the side of it, then watercooling the TEC with a seperate loop. The water passing through the block will be nice and cold, but this was makes insulating a nightmare since all the tubing and blocks needs to be insulated since the whole loop will be below ambient - not just the head.

TEC cooling is expensive, and uses a ton of electricity, but can be very effective and fun when done properly.

Single TEC usually isnt enough for modern computers though, especially a 50mm one. You need dual 50mm TECs or the monster 62mm ones. Also keep in mind that the cooler you use needs to be able to dissipate the heat from both the chip PLUS the TEC. A single 50mm might get the chip to idle nice and cool, but at load you may end up HOTTER then air cooling, since they work on temperature deltas - the colder you can keep the hot side, the colder you can get the cold side to. This is why they work so well stacked.

I want to avoid building a chiller. I'm not making this for a permanent setup, more so just as something to do in my free time. For extreme cooling I'll stick with DICE, until I can find something that's colder.

Can you give me more information about running them in series? From what I just read it didn't look like that was a good thing to do.

So you don't need a dedicated PSU?

I'm pretty sure I still do, unless anyone can find any information that says differently.

Yes you do.

I was using this as a power supply to power my TEC.

http://store.bravoel...024-p-1309.html

Meanwell makes some great PSU for TEC's they also have a 150w unit and a 1k watt unit.

This is where I bought all my stuff back in 2003.

http://www.dangerden...psu-insulation/

It looks like they still have everything I used. That Conformal Coating by Dow (1-2577) I still have some from my build way back when.

This stuff is awesome and I would recommend getting some. You can lay it over the motherboard. I put it around the outside of the CPU socket and all around the back side of the motherboard where the socket is.

This will keep the moisture from building on the electrical parts.

I got this Dow Corning 1-2577 Conformal Coating free from Dow Cornings Website. They offered free samples and I ended up getting like 8 bottles of this stuff for free. I am not 100% sure if they still do that though.

It has come in handy. I have used it as a sealer for many other things.

Also as I stated in another post make sure you get some die-electric grease and put some inside of the socket where the CPU pins go into.

425412_3116479004262_1633101886_2678023_1882747092_n.jpg