Power Supply Affecting GPU Performance?

Hello, I have a OCZ Fatal1ty 550W power supply. It's in my siggy. Since buying it I've heard it's not the best PSU. While I researched I've been told the PSU is by far one of the more important, if not THE most important, component in your system.

I've recently bought my MSI GTX 560Ti Hawk and noticed it says on the box: "minimum recommended PSU 600W".

On the Newegg site it said the same thing, but at something like 500W-500W.

My question is whether my GPU/System is getting enough clean power. I've noticed when I run certain games that, when there's lag, the fluorescent light I have hooked up as a back-light for my display, flickers as if it's not getting enough power or something.

I have two power terminals that each hold 6 power cables. Both of the power terminals are connected to the same AC outlet, but the fluorescent light is not connected to the power terminal that the computer is running off of. I thought I'd add that.

I planning on getting this PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139012

THANK YOU! :)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't seem bad, you can get the 750W one for 129, a little bit more efficient if it actually uses 600W.. what kind of a monitor do you have or do you mean the internal one? Did ya reinstall all the drivers? Different slot on mobo? If the Back Light thing is from the monitors own power then I don't see why it's the PSUs fault.. how many things do ya have plugged in the same AC outlet?

Edited by Dan The Gamer

550w is enough for your setup. Your PSU might not be the best of the best but it's no where near the worst either. About the light flickering sounds like when the video card is being loaded and using more power it's making the light flicker from the change in power draw. Whether thats an issue or not i'm not sure.

As for having 12 things plugged into a single outlet. That could be a concern but without knowing how your house is wired I couldn't say. I sure wouldn't be plugging that many things in to one outlet.

550w is enough for your setup. Your PSU might not be the best of the best but it's no where near the worst either. About the light flickering sounds like when the video card is being loaded and using more power it's making the light flicker from the change in power draw. Whether thats an issue or not i'm not sure.

As for having 12 things plugged into a single outlet. That could be a concern but without knowing how your house is wired I couldn't say. I sure wouldn't be plugging that many things in to one outlet.

I haven't had any problems with the 2 power terminals being on one AC outlet--at least from what I've observed.

I'm really curious about the light flickering and what you're saying does sound right, but I'm just as unsure whether it's detrimental to my system or not.

I'd still like a new PSU, but it doesn't sound like it urgently needs an upgrade as I thought. I'm overclocking my GPU as well, right now it's at 1000Mhz/2000Mhz with 2420Mhz on the memory. I'm able to achieve that with a very small bump of 6mV. To get 1020Mhz or higher requires significant voltage upwards of 112mV+.

At that increased power draw do you believe my power supply can still handle it or would the 650w/750w Corsair Professional PSU be required to hold that high a power draw?

Thanks for the feedback.

:withstupid: I'm more concerned about how much you're pulling from the single wall outlet. If they are 12 low current devices then fine. What have you got plugged in?

Really? Huh, I never thought it would be such a concern. Well I'll tell you what I've got:

Terminal 1:

• Computer
  • External hard drive power
  • Internet receiver/router power.

Terminal 2:

• Fluorescent back-light
  • 1080P 22" LCD display
  • 2Ch 20w RMS Speaker amplifier (for my external bookshelf speakers)
  • 50W Halogen lamp (not often on)
  • ~50w guitar amplifier (only ON when playing guitar)
  • Cell Phone charger.

I wasn't too concerned about the power draw. Here's what ON, on a daily basis:

• Computer
  • Internet receiver/router power
  • 1080P 22" LCD display
  • Fluorescent back-light
  • 2Ch 20W RMS Speaker amplifier (If I'm not using gaming headset).

Edited by momosmokey

i used to have the HEC 550W winpower before i got this Antec TP750w which never gave me issues running my rig, but idk if his OCs with the CPU & GPU makes the difference.

yet i got more peripherals/hardwares running than his still :dunno:

faulty PSU/power outlet ?

I have no idea. It's weird that it flickers.

I thought maybe because the GPU wasn't getting enough power it would than lag and cause the light to flicker because the PSU wasn't pulling enough (clean?) power from the wall. I don't know, I'm going off a whim here.

That PSU is ok but I had gotten my cousin the same one for his 1055T X6/GTX 260 system and the thing died after 10 months of light use. Get a new PSU sooner than later.. the one you got will work.. but for how long is the real question.

That PSU is ok but I had gotten my cousin the same one for his 1055T X6/GTX 260 system and the thing died after 10 months of light use. Get a new PSU sooner than later.. the one you got will work.. but for how long is the real question.

Yeah that's how I feel. I'm going to Germany for a year, but when I get back I'm going to get either an Nvidia GTX 650/670 or an AMD HD7950/7970. Thought I might as well upgrade my GPU now. ;)