How do I get a job working on computers?

DrDigitized2

Not sure where to put this. I love computers. I love working on them, solving there problems, working out there kinks, Building is fun, and I love finding and solving all the mysteries of computers. My question is how do you get a job working on computers? What Certs or Degrees do I need? Can I get a job without them? How much would I be looking to make? Not that making tons of money is the priority.

It is something I have always been interested in but living in the middle of nowhere its not like there's a Geek Squad anywhere close. I know there are company's that hire people to go to peoples homes and fix there computers but I don't know who they are.

You could consider a broad degree in IT from some online uni corse then apon completion look at offering a home visit service in your town and surrounding areas.

People like degrees and nearly any tech degree is good enough however if you get into one specializing in computers then bonus for you.

Some pros and cons of different options I see open to you.

Pros of your own business with small clientell means a sole employ (you) so all profits are yours

Home visits so you don't need to get a premisis to work from which represents more money

All your driving and expenditures ie fuel a d servicing is entirely claimable come tax time.

Con of working for yourself, you don't have the protection and cover of a larger company

Whether that is if you are sick and need time off or if something goes wrong while completing repair ect

Pros of business aside from all the usual sick and holiday benefits.

Depending how things work you may have a guarenteed and fixed income

They may also offer training services while you work so as to increase you knowlege

Ok so I have been doing some research on what Certs or Degrees to get. The only Degree that is offered in my area is Computer Science. At first it sounds good until I read everything else it wants you to learn. Hardly any of it has to do with computers at all.

Computer Science Emphasis

Associate of Science Degree

Required General Education Courses (36-38 credits)

CM101 English Composition I ...................................................3

CM102 English Composition II ..................................................3

CM115 Public Speaking ...............................................................3

Fine Arts Elective .................................................................................3

Literature, Philosophy or History Elective ........................................3

MA111 College Algebra ...............................................................3

SS101 General Psychology ........................................................3

HE141/SS105 Human Growth & Development ...............................3

Biological Science Lab Course ........................................................ 4-5

Physical Science Lab Course ........................................................... 4-5

Social Science Elective .........................................................................3

Physical Education Elective ................................................................1

Required Education Courses (16 credits)

ED100 Introduction to Education .............................................3

ED101 Introduction to Education Practicum ..........................1

MA114 Elementary Statistics .......................................................3

CS108 Computer Applications ..................................................3

CS104 Introduction to Web Site Design...................................3

CS100 Introduction to Computer Science ...............................3

Electives (10 credits)

Two Humanities Electives ..................................................................6

Social Science Elective ........................................................................3

CS175 Computer Science I .........................................................4

CS250 Advanced Network Administration .............................2

CS240 Networking Technologies I ............................................4

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I cant understand how thats going to help me in the field other then the basics. They do have more classes that I can add on later but it seems to be such a waist of time to learn about Introduction to Education (What the hell is that?) when I could actually learn about my field.

So then I started looking at Certs. Unfortunitly I am going to have to study online seeing as I live in the middle of NOWHERE. I was thinking of getting the A+ Cert and the MCITP Cert. Does anyone have any advice as to if that is enough for me to get a good job?

Computer Science is in no way related to what you are describing as what you want to do. Degrees in the Information Technology area would be a better bet if that is the way that you would like to go.

Thats what I thought. I just wish we had one close by. I will look into getting a degree online but I worry that they are ripoffs. Does anyone know of a decent place to get it?

Thats what I thought. I just wish we had one close by. I will look into getting a degree online but I worry that they are ripoffs. Does anyone know of a decent place to get it?

What Universities and Colleges are in you area? You need to look around a bit, and find a degree program that suits you. Different schools have different programs...

I am going to make this VERY clear though. Avoid schools like ITT Tech, University of Phoenix or other For Profit schools, these places are a scam. These schools usually have a National accreditation, which isn't as good as a regional accreditation. Look at state and private schools... Also check into Career or Technical colleges, these are generally a lot cheaper, and you can transfer to a 4 year university once you get your first 2 years in...

A degree is going to be worth a lot more than a Cert. Certs are starting to become a lot less valuable, as a lot of IT departments are getting away from the specialized person, and are looking more for a well rounded individual. Certs like A+ are practically worthless these days, even the big ones like the Cisco ones are becoming less valuable, it costs a lot of money to obtain and keep these certs. In my experience working with over 100 IT managers this year, the general concusses is that a lot of certs just aren't worth it... THe degree is something you should have however, as it shows that you can put your mind to something.

If your a well rounded employee it will be easier to find a job. Limiting yourself to just "computers" is a bad idea imo... Being proficient in programing, networking, or even business can help a lot when looking for a job these days..

What Universities and Colleges are in you area? You need to look around a bit, and find a degree program that suits you. Different schools have different programs...

Closest major university to him (provided he's in Jamestown, KS) is Kansas State University in Manhattan. Bit of a drive, but a great school. My brother went there for architectual engineering, but I'm sure an IT degree program shouldn't be too hard to find there.

I have 2 friends that took Computer Science and they have no idea how a computer works, they know how to program the hell out of it. But why my mouse is not working (unplugged) or why its the computer is not booting (system booting to thumb drive) no idea how to fix them.

So i would stay away from that course as i also looked into it and said no.

I have 2 friends that took Computer Science and they have no idea how a computer works, they know how to program the hell out of it. But why my mouse is not working (unplugged) or why its the computer is not booting (system booting to thumb drive) no idea how to fix them.

So i would stay away from that course as i also looked into it and said no.

Computer Science degrees are generally focused more on programming, and the science behind computers...

Information Technology degrees, or Business Information Technology degrees tend to be more about how to interact with technology, and how to use technology in a business. I am finishing up my degree in Information Technology currently.

Thanks everyone for your help. I knew that a few people at this site would have an idea of how to go about this. You have all given me a lot to think about and I look forward to exploring more.

Its amazing how many sites there are out there that are SCAMS. Its sad really. We all work hard for our money only to have it striped away by these fake courses that say they will teach you everything to start your own business in this field but they don't even prepare you for any Certs or Degrees.

Oh and I looked up Pheonix and ITTech. They want around $40k for a 2 year degree that will get you a job making what like $13-15 an hour. How are you supposed to pay that back?

Wait what? 40k?!? Dam that a lot!

Take look at your local community collages. Most offer programs that will give you a scholarships if you keep a certain GPA. One in my area cost's 20k per year but with a 3.8 GPA you can get into Georgetown for free!