XBOX 720

InCrYsIs

My point is independant of their implementation method. Just because the API is the biggest feature doesn't mean there aren't other features from later models that wouldn't also be beneficial enough to justify the expense. About the only other thing the 6670 would have going for it is the ability to do hybrid crossfire.

I didn't know that. If that is their goal than they should come up with some creative idea of being able to update Direct X without compromising the ability to code for a console. Always being behind the power curve isn't much of a statement.

Edit:

Oh and you keep harping on me for seeming to miss your point and not join the "Oh this is great bandwagon!" but you keep missing my point. If they are going to make the console lifecycle longer, than using the same design model as their previous attempts isn't the best strategy. Xbox has yet to be the dominant console despite having the best online play. One would think someone at Microsoft would get the hint already.

The only bandwagon I'm on is trying to get people to stop comparing a console a PC. :lol: Yes, a console is similar to a computer in many ways, but the hardware is very specific, can't be upgraded beyond basic things like a hard drive, and has a fairly limited use. A console is designed for games, first and foremost, with anything else having to be adapted to it. A computer is basically a jack of all trades.

Personally, I could care less when a new Xbox or PlayStation launches. I haven't turned on my Xbox in over 6 months and the only thing I'm really playing on the PS3 are sports games, Final Fantasy, and a few other exclusives. Everything else is being handled by my computer, and if you could see my list of games on Steam you would understand that.

The only thing I care about are PC games finally making use of the hardware we have. What is the point of getting a video card with more than 1GB of VRAM if there are not many benefits to it? PC games typically only look better than ones on the console by way of mods. Sure, some games may require hefty hardware, but generally that is due to really awful optimization that will only work well on expensive hardware. We need something to push the boundary of what PC hardware can do that isn't the result of terrible optimization.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Source: VG247

Xbox 720: Blu-ray inside, always-on netcon required

Xbox 720 has been fully detailed to some third-parties, VG247 has learned, and has been slotted in for a Christmas 2013 release. And yes: of course it'll have a Blu-ray drive.

VG247 has learned that Microsoft has now detailed Xbox 720 to certain partners and has internally confirmed the machine for a Christmas 2013 release.

The next generation Xbox will have a Blu-ray drive, contrary to a recent report.

Multiple sources have confirmed this morning that the machine will have two GPUs. One said: "It's like two PCs taped together."

We're waiting for final confirmation of specs, but the graphics cards are thought to be equivalent to AMD's 7000 series GPUs, but "not CrossFire or SLI". The GPUs aren't structured as they are in a normal dual PC set-up, in which the two chips take it in turns to draw lines of the same object: Xbox 720′s graphics units will be able to work independently, drawing separate items simultaneously.

It was reported last week that PlayStation 4, internally codenamed Orbis, will also be powered by AMD hardware.

There will be "four or six" cores to the Xbox 720 CPU, one of which will be reserved for Kinect and one for the OS.

Xbox 720 will require an always-on internet connection as an anti-piracy measure.

We've also been told that the next generation of Kinect will be built into the device as standard.

The details have emerged in the wake of a hastily removed tweet from Sean Tracy, a technical designer for Crytek, that said he was attending the "Durango summit" in London at the end of February. Durango is though to be the codename for the console.

Microsoft is not expected to announce anything pertaining to its next machine until next year.

Many developers have been posting job openings for "next-gen" and "future-gen" systems for months.

Lionhead and Bethesda are just two of the latest.

So we need more proof Sony and Microsoft and talking with each other on the side?

Calling it now - Wii U will win the next gen console war as well.

Real Games (Xbox 720 / PS4) > Mario Games (Wii U)

New graphics (Xbox 720 / PS4) > 360/PS3 level graphics (Wii U)

Calling it now, mario fans buy the Wii U. Everybody else buy a Xbox 720 / PS4.

Edited by AZNguyen

That totally explains the dominance of the wii this generation.

You forgot about Zelda fans and Metroid fans. You know, those two game franchises that, with the Mario franchise, gives Nintendo one of the best portfolios of any game company, let alone console manufacturer. Now if we also see Pikmin 3, a new Star Fox game that returns to space, another Super Smash Bros. and Paper Mario title, and either an F-Zero or Excite something racing title come to the Wu are you still sure Microsoft and Sony will have better offerings?

Also, don't forget that all of these consoles really only exist as rumor at the moment, even though we have seen working Wu's out there. The hardware can all still change. Everything is just rumor, such as the xBox 720 and PS4 rumors that say they won't play used games. Oddly no such rumor of the Wu losing such capability has made the rounds yet. I wonder why?

All children orientated games. Low cost and children friendly games = sales. More sales =/= to better. I'm pretty sure everyone can find examples for this.

Xbox / PS:

Gears of War, Halo, CoD ( :rolleyes: ), Battlefield, Metal Gear Solid, Uncharted, Grand Theft Auto, Valve Games, BioShock, Batman, and on and on and on. No kiddy casual games here.

I will admit some of those may be available on the Wii U with its upgrade in performance.

Edited by AZNguyen

Have you ever played the Metroid Prime Trilogy, Mario Galaxy games, or Twilight Princess? I have and even if you want to call them kids' games, they are of superb quality. They easily match the quality of any game on either the 360 or the PS3. Not even many PC games can claim that.

Also: http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Kinectimals/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8024d5308b3. Nope, no kiddy or casual games here.

Oh and don't forget the Wu is going to have titles such as Darksiders 2 and Metro Last Light, because Nintendo is only working towards a family friendly image.

# of games rated 90 and higher on Metacritic:

Wii - 13 Titles (2 Mario, Super Smash Bros., 2 Zelda, 2 Metroid, Okami) <-- Only 4 franchises to choose from

360 - A lot more than 13! A lot more than 4 franchises!

PS3 - A lot more than 13! A lot more than 4 franchises!

How many of those franchises you did not count and did not name are also first party? Also, is Metacritic really the best source? Looking at the high scores for the last 90 days I see Mass Effect 3 listed three times, each time with a 90+ score, except for user scores which are all lower than 4.9. Also, looking at the All Time high scores we find GTA IV listed twice at the top, then Super Mario Galaxy 1 and Super Mario Galaxy 2. They're even above Half Life 2!

# of games rated 90 and higher on Metacritic:

Wii - 13 Titles (2 Mario, Super Smash Bros., 2 Zelda, 2 Metroid, Okami)

360 - A lot more than 13! A lot more than 4 franchises!

PS3 - A lot more than 13! A lot more than 4 franchises!

Comparing Metacritic scores is like seeing who can yell the loudest in a crowded room. Assigning a number to a review is, well, pointless. You're saying that Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, which scored a 9 out of 10 at IGN, is a better game than Titan Quest, which only scored an 8.1 out of 10?