motherboard recomended for 3way sli

I am building a new gaming pc using socket 1155 with a Core i7-2600K and two GTX570's. I was thinking just a two way sli but on this build I might just go all out and try for 3 570's What do you think and what board would work best?

Asus Maximus IV Extreme Z if budget isn't a problem.

The Maximus IV Extreme is a bit spendy but not out of range for this build. What is the over all user experience on this board? I need this thing to hold up for a few years. Originally I was leaning toward a Gigabyte board but I am not apposed to Asus. I like the speed on the pcie slots - 4 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (single @x16, dual @x8, triple @x8, x16, x16 ). I may need to overclock the CPU to keep up with 3 cards as well so the Maximus IV Extreme wold be a good idea for that.

I am building a new gaming pc using socket 1155 with a Core i7-2600K and two GTX570's. I was thinking just a two way sli but on this build I might just go all out and try for 3 570's What do you think and what board would work best?

I don't want to stir the pot and make things complicated, but have you considered going with X79 instead? I sounds like you haven't purchased your CPU yet. In which case I would use the 3820 with a triple SLI board. You will have more luck with that sort of a set up in regards to triple SLI. If not then this EVGA board, this Asrock board, or of course the ROG motherboard suggested earlier.

The Maximus IV Extreme is a bit spendy but not out of range for this build. What is the over all user experience on this board? I need this thing to hold up for a few years. Originally I was leaning toward a Gigabyte board but I am not apposed to Asus. I like the speed on the pcie slots - 4 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (single @x16, dual @x8, triple @x8, x16, x16 ). I may need to overclock the CPU to keep up with 3 cards as well so the Maximus IV Extreme wold be a good idea for that.

Ok, then go with the boards suggested by Tjj.

As for user experience, I'm running 2x GTX580s @ 8x- 8x. But don't have any personal experience about 3 way SLI.

I don't want to stir the pot and make things complicated, but have you considered going with X79 instead? I sounds like you haven't purchased your CPU yet. In which case I would use the 3820 with a triple SLI board. You will have more luck with that sort of a set up in regards to triple SLI. If not then this EVGA board, this Asrock board, or of course the ROG motherboard suggested earlier.

Thanks for the idea, I have not done much research on the 2011 socket yet but that is a good idea. Let me do some poking around today and see what I can find. Has anyone done a build with the X79 lately that would tell me how it went?

Thanks for the idea, I have not done much research on the 2011 socket yet but that is a good idea. Let me do some poking around today and see what I can find. Has anyone done a build with the X79 lately that would tell me how it went?

I just built a PC with the 3930K, I can give you my specs if you like.

Case - CoolerMaster Cosmos II

CPU - Intel i7-3930K

Motherboard - ASUS Sabertooth X79

Power Supply - Silverstone 1200W Strider Gold Evolution

Boot-Disk in Raid 0 - 2x OCZ Vertex 3 SATA III

HDD w/ SSD Cache - Western Digital Caviar Black SATA III 2TB w/ OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS 120GB

Memory - G.Skill Ripjaws Z 1866MHz (8x4GB)

GPU - Radeon HD 5870 (Upgrading to either CF 7970's or SLI 680's in a couple months)

I am overall very happy with this build, boot times are quick (about four to five seconds), loading of apps is fast off my Raid 0 SSD's, loading if games off my SSD cache is also very quick (only a couple seconds to load Skyrim for example), and I can play games at a very decent detail setting despite the old GPU. So far I haven't found anything it doesn't excel at.

Case - CoolerMaster Cosmos II

CPU - Intel i7-3930K

Motherboard - ASUS Sabertooth X79

Power Supply - Silverstone 1200W Strider Gold Evolution

Boot-Disk in Raid 0 - 2x OCZ Vertex 3 SATA III

HDD w/ SSD Cache - Western Digital Caviar Black SATA III 2TB w/ OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS 120GB

Memory - G.Skill Ripjaws Z 1866MHz (8x4GB)

GPU - Radeon HD 5870 (Upgrading to either CF 7970's or SLI 680's in a couple months)

I am overall very happy with this build, boot times are quick (about four to five seconds), loading of apps is fast off my Raid 0 SSD's, loading if games off my SSD cache is also very quick (only a couple seconds to load Skyrim for example), and I can play games at a very decent detail setting despite the old GPU. So far I haven't found anything it doesn't excel at.

Thats very cool! The one concern I have with the Z68 was ending up with a bottle neck after adding 3 cards as well as a 3 way raid 0. I am curious to see what happens when you add two or three cards with the X79 set up. Not that any games out there will put that to the test yet. LOL! Again very cool build!