Which RAM shall i get for my motherboard?

Hello friends,

I just got a new mobo MSI G41M-P26 and planning to buy Intel Core 2 Duo E8400. Now the only question is that what and which RAM shall i get for these two so that i can utilize their efficiency to the maximum extent.

I googled for that & i got this topic as 'Dual Channel RAM". I don't have the faintest idea what is it and how it can be configured. I want to get 8 GB DDR3 RAM. I also searched CORSAIR website for the same but didn't got any clue about this 'Dual Channel' memory.

So please, if any one of you can help me out what this term means and can i use it on my CPU and mobo assembly and if yes then how shall i achieve it.

It would be of great help for me if my question is answered here.

Thanks.

The term dual channel refers to the way the system looks at RAM. In this case the system sees two sticks on RAM< one on each channel at the same time for accessing the memory. Dual channel is the defacto standard right now when it comes to system configurations and pretty much anything you get is a dual channel kit, just make sure it has two sticks and you will be fine. Because the pricing is about the same I would look for a good DDR3 1600 kit from either Corsair or Kingston.

Corsair Vengence

Kingston HyperX

Either kit would do you fine. The Kingston has a better price however so I would go there.

Edited by ComputerEd

Quote from Wikipedia

Multi-channel architecture is a technology that increases the transfer speed of data between the RAM and the memory controller by adding more channels of communication between them. Theoretically this multiplies the data rate by exactly the number of channels present. Dual-channel memory employs two channels which theoretically doubles the data transfer rate.

It's practically a way more efficient way of using RAM without needing to upgrade the actual technology. So for example if today someone comes out with the newest and most advanced RAM then that's the best on the market as of today. The only way to improve upon that is to add a second RAM stick and get dual channel until someone else comes out with an even newer model of RAM that's faster than the previous one.

Also just to avoid confusion, it's the motherboard that needs to have support for multi-channel memory, not the actual ram sticks.

In general you don't really need to know how it works in order to use it. Just read the specs of a given motherboard and it will state the way you can configure ram. If it says dual channel then that's the optimal way to use it and you get dual channel ram. If it says triple channel then you get triple channel ram, etc.

Edited by sack_patrol