Reasons for piracy

Shifty2105

My question would be...

Did the vender provide the movie to be rented (viewed a few times) or purchased to be viewed indefinitely.

Fortunately it is not up to your friends to decide what the venders intentions were.

Please contact the legal owner and they will provide you with that information.

I am not a lawyer... but I sleep on a Sleep Number Bed.

Really I thought people only went on the internet to be douchebags while under the cloak of anonymity :P

some image hosting sites have ads on them that from memory give money to the uploader of the image per view or click or something to that extent. so if someone uploads a screenshot of film in their torrent and someone clicks it i believe that can generate them revenue. I could be wrong i'm not entirely certain.

i agree with you it is a very interesting question to see why people upload. why do razor1911, SKIDROW and RELOADED crack & upload games?

i remember reading this article a quite some time ago as to thy aXXo (a notorious film uploader)

Maybe most folks are actually douchebags then.

You're right about the image hosting, I'm not entirely sure as far something like Photobucket or Imageshack goes, but I have definitely come across image hosting sites that advertise through the image. Obviously Photobucket and the like have some way of making money through ads though so it's definitely a result of an image being uploaded to their site.

Thanks for the link and info on the aXXo interview, that's pretty much what I was looking for last night but couldn't think of how to find it, though now it's terribly obvious that it was really easy to find. Specifically though, aXXo's answer to the first question is what I wanted to see. Like I've said before, I've uploaded my own torrents in the past and the reason he gave is pretty much my reason as well, though mine is along the lines of saving others hours of work I did to hunt down the material.

Basically though, I look at piracy as a form of generosity, and it's because I see it that way that I believe piracy to be one of humanities best inventions ever. I mean if you think about everything you learn throughout your life, where did you usually learn some of the most important lessons you will ever know? Probably kindergarten, I remember in kindergarten, the number one lessons were always "learn to share" and "treat others how you would like to be treated" and I think piracy is the best example of how as adults, we're following these basic but important teachings. That's why it's hard for me to view piracy as a bad thing.

Hmmm. Interesting

As I sit here at work every day I hear many fathers and mothers talk about there problems they have at home.

I also hear them boast about how when the cashier gave them $5 to much in change how good it made them feel, or how they got something on sale and returned it and got full price, or how they were speeding behind another car and how stupid they were because they got the ticket, they look over at there children and say "If that guys had been smart he would have been behind me". One of my favorite is a guy I work with that shops at REI. If you shop at REI you know that they have an unlimited, unconditional return policy, if you are at anytime unsatisfied with what you have bought then bring it back. Well he will buy a pair of hiking boots and ware them for several years then return them for a new pair. He boasted one day the he got a letter form REI saying that they were experiencing an unusual number of returns on his account. His fix for there problem was to change the return policy. I told him that peeps like him were the reason I could not afford to shop at REI.

When I was building my last computer, the one in my signature below, I... out of stupidity touched the CPU socket with my finger and ruined my $260 mobo :doh:. To tell you the truth my first thought was how do I get out of this without taking responsibility... the second thought was how do I tell my wife that I need to spend another $260 on my computer which already was nearing 2 grand. When I told her I just said Honey I just screwed up one of my computer parts and its going to cost $260 to get another one. She said if I would wait till tomorrow she would go with me... Micro Center is on the other side of Denver, One of they guys I work with said that he would have returned it and said it came that way. How G*** is a nice guy but would I give him a key to my house to feed the cat while I go on holiday.

I know this sounds like I am boasting, that I am better than anyone else and nobody can not live up to my standards, not that you really care and you really should not care what I think because I really don't care what you think of me, I don't want to be an butt or be one of those guys that just will say something to get an argument going... that serves not purpose. Who would I be if I patterned my life after what other people think of me.

Like... if one of you guys says do this to your build and you will get some kind of super something I say Hell yes I'll do it.

Like... if one of you guys said do to this site and get something for free that would cost you $ otherwise then I would not do that...

Like someone once said... I just don't roll that way.

OCC guys are a bunch of smart guys and gals and we can share our love of computer and tech... and Skyrim.

Well what I really think your coworkers are saying is that they're kind of getting back at the man for once. Throughout our lives, middle class people and poor people are pretty much going to get screwed over by some company at some point. To your coworkers, it's like giving those companies a taste of their own medicine I think. I'm not saying it's right, just that that's mentality behind it usually, it's not a matter of money, but principle.

I do think you're being the better man about it myself, while I don't attempt to hold myself to such standards, I do believe such standards are what make people great. I believe what you do is a shining example of the golden rule, you don't take advantage of situations and as a result, the chances of you being taken advantage of are slimmed down.

Personally... I like to take advantage of situations, especially when I know that I'm being taken advantage of anyway. That's where golden rule kind of gets confusing, who is supposed to start being the bigger man about it first? I feel the company should be but that's also me delegating my responsibilities away I suppose, but as long they're millionaires and I'm not, I just don't care if I'm taking advantage of them.

Edited by Deathmineral

My question would be...

Did the vender provide the movie to be rented (viewed a few times) or purchased to be viewed indefinitely.

Fortunately it is not up to your friends to decide what the venders intentions were.

Please contact the legal owner and they will provide you with that information.

I am not a lawyer... but I sleep on a Sleep Number Bed.

Neither, it was a show on television. It was then recorded to a DVR (a legal action) and then placed on a hard drive (also a legal action unless the satellite company is also encouraging piracy). I was wondering what the difference was between downloading it directly.

Neither, it was a show on television. It was then recorded to a DVR (a legal action) and then placed on a hard drive (also a legal action unless the satellite company is also encouraging piracy). I was wondering what the difference was between downloading it directly.

I assume networks, if not the creators of content as well, are informed that the customers of a service that they sign up with are allowed to do this so they would have to okay that kind of thing I think.

I don't like how I worded that but I'm sure you get it. :lol:

The discussion here has created enough thought on my part that I wanted to put together those thoughts for a proper response. After I was done I had a very long piece that would have been a serious wall of text in this thread and something that I did not feel should be inflicted on this thread. So with that in mind I have done the peice as an editorial on my blog as my thoughts on Piracy. Read it or not, that is up to you. I inivte and welcome comments on my article if you agree or disagree. The time is long past that the computing community take this matter to an open discussion and find a solution. becuase if we, the computing community do no find a solution oursleves, one WILL be forced on us that could very well ruin the expericne we have all come to cherish.

Piracy: My Thoughts

The discussion here has created enough thought on my part that I wanted to put together those thoughts for a proper response. After I was done I had a very long piece that would have been a serious wall of text in this thread and something that I did not feel should be inflicted on this thread. So with that in mind I have done the peice as an editorial on my blog as my thoughts on Piracy. Read it or not, that is up to you. I inivte and welcome comments on my article if you agree or disagree. The time is long past that the computing community take this matter to an open discussion and find a solution. becuase if we, the computing community do no find a solution oursleves, one WILL be forced on us that could very well ruin the expericne we have all come to cherish.

Piracy: My Thoughts

I can't tell if you're trolling for responses with that article or not. After reading it (the part about bandwidth...:lol:), and especially given your closing statement, I'm inclined to think you are.

Piracy is a crime, it is a theft that is motivated by a pure self-entitled, selfish greed, until we treat it as such it will not go away.

This is your opinion, one that a great very many people do not share.

Edited by Waco

After all of this I always thought that it was against OCC policy to discuss piracy on the forums..................... Much less admit to it :)

Discussing how to do it is against the rules, IIRC. I'm pretty sure Bosco said he didn't care if we discussed the topic as a whole.

I can't tell if you're trolling for responses with that article or not. After reading it (the part about bandwidth...:lol:), and especially given your closing statement, I'm inclined to think you are.

You mean like four of you? That's the dumbest reason I have heard yet, "hey four of us agree that it's ok to steal , who cares that society and it's laws say otherwise"

Many people thought the world was flat as well. Just because many people think something does not make it true. Now if you would like to have a serious discussion about piracy and how we, the computing community can help end it then I am happy to chat.