i5 2500k w/ Asrock extreme 3 - first time overclock (in progress)

Traft00

Well guys, you helped me put together my system and now its time to OC it!

I have read through several threads and tried to gather as much information as I could before jumping in. Here is where I am at so far:

I have set the multiplier to 45

The short duration power limit: 250

The long duration power limit: 250

The long duration maintained: 1 second

Core current limit: 250

In the voltage control section of the motherboard I have set the following

Power saving mode: disabled

CPU core voltage: offset mode (showing +1.296V)

CPU load-line calibration: Auto (level 5)

DRAM voltage: Auto (showing +1.529V)

PCH voltage: Auto (showing +1.059V)

CPU PLL voltage: 1.750V

VCCSA Voltage: 0.925V

golMl.png

e1iV0.png

nuz9t.png

ZXlnm.png

From what I can tell the system appears to be stable however I did notice that while playing SWTOR the game doesn't seem as smooth as before, especially while traveling, there seems to be a jog in the video once every 3 or so seconds even though my frame rates are now ~7-10/second higher. I have run Prime 95 for over 30 minutes now and I have posted the results below. Any advice on where I should go with this from here is very much appreciated.

8dZTy.jpg

xxBJs.png

It took a few hours but it eventually blue screened.... not sure what to adjust now.

BTW, if you would like to see pictures of my setup they are posted in this thread: My link

Probibly more volt's on the vcore.

Overclocking the platform is as easy as 1-2-3. Leave all settings on auto, dial in the multi and let the board take over.

That will do but it will remove the actual fun of tweaking while overclocking.

That will do but it will remove the actual fun of tweaking while overclocking.

Sandybridge chips each have a limitation anyhow. It is not like you can extreme cool them and overclock better and get better performance.

Overclocking the platform is as easy as 1-2-3. Leave all settings on auto, dial in the multi and let the board take over.

Just be careful that your variables aren't trying to over volt themselves to death, and that you have the right cooling. Personally I like to set the BIOS personally just to avoid anomalies, but overclocking is very doable with all auto settings.

Sandybridge chips each have a limitation anyhow. It is not like you can extreme cool them and overclock better and get better performance.

Yes and no. With water cooling, the max is generally 5ghz, but you can get it to the maximum multiplier and base clock which puts the CPU at 6 ghz with a water cooling setup with the radiator in a freezer or dry ice. I wouldn't call it extreme cooling, but it sure would be more than average cooling to get that speed.

^^ SB chips are based on luck IMO. For example, once, only once I saw a 56x 2500K chip (not binned), and two of my friends who have 2500K, their chip stops at 46x & 48x respectively. Increasing the voltage have almost no effect on them.