First Build

Shifty2105

hey guys this is my first time building my own computer and i just wanted to hear your opinions on it and if you see any faults

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k

CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO or Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 PRO

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3R

Graphics Card: Gainward GTX 560 1gb "Goldern Sample" and Gainward GTX 560 1GB "Phantom"

Ram: 8 GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 DDR3

Sound Card: Asus Xonar DG going to save up for the Asus Xense Premium Audio Gaming Set (ASUS Xonar Xense One and Sennheiser PC 350 Xense Edition)

Case: Corsair Carbide 500r White

Power Supply: Antec True Power 750w

Storage: 60GB OCZ Agility 3 with 1 TB Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS in SRT (Boot) / 2 TB Seagate Barracuda Green ST2000DL003 (Storage)

Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222AB

Edited by Shifty2105

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not get a GTX 6xx or a HD 7xxx?

my friend won the gtx 560 'phantom' and hes selling it to me for a good price

i was going to originally buy another gtx 460 to go with the one i currently have

CPU: What will you be using this rig for? Gaming? If so, then the 2500k will be plenty enough for you.

GPU: The MSI GTX560 ti TF II/OC is a better alternative than the Gainsward, as it is far more overclockable than the Gainsward.

Storage: If you want to stick with the OCZ brand and don't mind paying a little more, then I would suggest getting the Vertex as they are synchronous, whereas, the Agilities are asynchronous. The synchronous nand SSDs prove to be faster than the asynchronous ones.

Edit: If your friend is going to sell the graphics cards to you below retail pricing then go with those cards.

Edited by PremiumAcc

CPU: What will you be using this rig for? Gaming? If so, then the 2500k will be plenty enough for you.

GPU: The MSI GTX560 ti TF II/OC is a better alternative than the Gainsward, as it is far more overclockable than the Gainsward.

Storage: If you want to stick with the OCZ brand and don't mind paying a little more, then I would suggest getting the Vertex as they are synchronous, whereas, the Agilities are asynchronous. The synchronous nand SSDs prove to be faster than the asynchronous ones.

Edit: If your friend is going to sell the graphics cards to you below retail pricing then go with those cards.

i'm going to use the computer for both gaming and cad so i think the 2600k should do

i've read that it is easier oc'ed to 4.2 ghz on the stock cooler but some people have trouble using gigabyte boards for overclocking

i was considering getting asrock z68 extreme4 gen 3 before the gigabyte

I'd ditch the 2600K and get a 2500K + better board if I were you.. Probably the Asus P8Z68-V Pro or the Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4.

Also, you're better off ditching that sound card and get a quality headset instead. You don't need sound cards for gaming since a good 7.1 headset would set you on top. Then use the extra money to get bigger and faster SSDs like the Vertex 3 series that PremiumAcc said or the Kingston HyperX 120GB.

The rest looked pretty solid except that I don't recommend buying a green HDD unless it's purely for data storage (no games or frequently seen movies).

It's Gainward, Not GainSward :lol:

And on the contrary, those Gainward GS cards are notorious for their overclocking ability. They're practically assembled to be highly OCed. If it weren't for the jet engine noise, I would've recommend it to everyone.

That Gainward 560Ti Phantom is also a good choice (very silent) but it still can't beat MSI's TFIII coolers at size:noise:temp ratio so I'd suggest you go with the 560 Ti HAWK instead. But if you're getting a good deal and don't really mind a bit of a noise, grab those 560 Ti GS and don't look back.

Edit: How big is you're monitor? If it's not bigger then a 24" then I think you shouldn't bother getting a second card in SLI. You can still play today's game with High - Ultra settings with a single 560 Ti (With the exception of Metro2033 :fp: )

Edited by vandreadstriker

1. Instead of 2600K, go with 2500K, save the extra money.

2. Go with a better board with the saved money like Asus P8 Z68-V PRO or Gigabyte Z68X UD5 or Z68XP UD4.

3. Instead of buying GTX560, wait for AMD's 77/78xx series mid end cards.

I'd ditch the 2600K and get a 2500K + better board if I were you.. Probably the Asus P8Z68-V Pro or the Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4.

Also, you're better off ditching that sound card and get a quality headset instead. You don't need sound cards for gaming since a good 7.1 headset would set you on top. Then use the extra money to get bigger and faster SSDs like the Vertex 3 series that PremiumAcc said or the Kingston HyperX 120GB.

The rest looked pretty solid except that I don't recommend buying a green HDD unless it's purely for data storage (no games or frequently seen movies).

It's Gainward, Not GainSward :lol:

And on the contrary, those Gainward GS cards are notorious for their overclocking ability. They're practically assembled to be highly OCed. If it weren't for the jet engine noise, I would've recommend it to everyone.

That Gainward 560Ti Phantom is also a good choice (very silent) but it still can't beat MSI's TFIII coolers at size:noise:temp ratio so I'd suggest you go with the 560 Ti HAWK instead. But if you're getting a good deal and don't really mind a bit of a noise, grab those 560 Ti GS and don't look back.

Edit: How big is you're monitor? If it's not bigger then a 24" then I think you shouldn't bother getting a second card in SLI. You can still play today's game with High - Ultra settings with a single 560 Ti (With the exception of Metro2033 :fp: )

Sorry. I meant Gainwards. It still doesn't change the fact that the MSI 560 ti TFII is more overclockable than the GAINWARD golden sample. And for the record, I never said the Gainwards did not have a decent OC potential, they're just not as overclockable as the MSI 560ti TFIIs.

Edited by PremiumAcc

my friend won the gtx 560 'phantom' and hes selling it to me for a good price

i was going to originally buy another gtx 460 to go with the one i currently have

what exactly is a good price? If he is selling the 560 at 460 prices then go ahead and get it. If not the try to shoot for the 6950.

what exactly is a good price? If he is selling the 560 at 460 prices then go ahead and get it. If not the try to shoot for the 6950.

Is that 6950 deal that you posted last week still alive?

Edited by PremiumAcc

Is that 6950 deal that you posted last week still alive?

No, you are out of luck man.

Just in case you think I am referring to that card because I think everyone can get the sale price, the answer is no. I like that card because it out performs the 560 ti by a hair and you can tri fire it. Not to mention you can get lucky and unlock it to a 6970.