New Build Virgin

RTriggerHappy

Great components but the price just seems out of this world? not even crossifre for that kind of money?

Seems Like the FleX series isn't as money friendly as people said :lol:

You can always get two of these or these and knock yourself out :P

Strip the HDD and I'll suggest to go with these:

180b.jpg

180c.jpg

:cool2:

Source

Edit:

For budget and timescale, I figured that I can save £200/month (~$308.72) as of March, from now until then I'm saving up for a £400 42" TV.

I'm not quite sure of what you meant but if you're saying that from March 2012 onwards you can save £200/month, then by the end of June you'd most likely be able to even get a pair of 7970s or atleast a pair of 7950s... But honestly, I don't think you'd need that kind of power unless you're gaming on 6x24" at Max settings...

Edited by vandreadstriker

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He did say that he'll use that 42 inch TV of his as his main monitor. :D

I'm not sure if this applies to TVs but even a normal 42 inch TV nowdays dosen't exceed 1920 x 1080 resolution at 60 Hz right? So technically it's still the same resolution as any ordinary 23-24" monitors.. Unless for some reason I can't just compare a monitor's pixels with a TV's pixels, there should be anything wrong with a single HD6970, no?

I don't know, I thought maybe it would be in a higher resolution. I can't say, I haven't really seen anyone use that large of a TV to play games nor do I have any idea about that. Still, you're right, a single 6970 should be enough or a 7870, since a 7870 is "said" to be more powerful than the 6970.

I'm not sure if this applies to TVs but even a normal 42 inch TV nowdays dosen't exceed 1920 x 1080 resolution at 60 Hz right? So technically it's still the same resolution as any ordinary 23-24" monitors.. Unless for some reason I can't just compare a monitor's pixels with a TV's pixels, there should be anything wrong with a single HD6970, no?

Correct. 1920x1080 on a 24" monitor is no different then on a 40"+ TV performance wise.

Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it.

In honesty I don't need a screen that big, so if it's going to cause any problems I can downsize, I just like my big screens.

I'm going to have a proper read of this thread when I get home from work, but I really appreciate all your help, as I understand I just came here and shouted help!

Much appreciated

Welcome to OCC :cheers:

Now then, I'll try summarise your needs:

-Pack a Punch for serious gaming.

-Has enough proccessing power to reduce Lags or any similar in programs such as Dreamweaver

-Using a 2x23-24" (?) screen and possibly another 42" TV

-Budget of £1400

I would say go with a 2500k or even a 2600k built. But as medbor said, and since you're not thinking of getting the PC today, it'd be wise to wait and see how Intel's new Ivy Bridge would perform. Also, You would might as well wait for the Radeon 7000 series or GTX 700 series of graphics card that's bound to be released very soon.

My current Suggestion would be:

CPU: Intel i7 2600K (£239.30) or IB equivelant

Board: Asus P8Z68-V Pro (£149.98) or Upcoming Z77 chipset with IB

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB CML8GX3M2A1600C9B (£41.70)

Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 (£53.99) or NZXT Havik 140 (£56.15)

Graphics: Sapphire Radeon HD 6970 FleX (£360.64) or HD 7000/GTX 700 Series

SSD: Kingston HyperX 120GB (£149.98)

Case: CoolerMaster HAF 932 Advanced (£119.95)

HDD: Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black Sata III (£107.02)

PSU: Corsair AX850 Modular 80+ Gold (£139.99)

That totals at about £1365...

Hope it give you some idea of your new PC :cheers:

Nice build! Only thing I would say is that the 6970 you chose is really overpriced, If I was you I'd get 2 of these instead.

In honesty I don't need a screen that big, so if it's going to cause any problems I can downsize, I just like my big screens.

I'm going to have a proper read of this thread when I get home from work, but I really appreciate all your help, as I understand I just came here and shouted help!

Much appreciated

Hi and Welcome to OCC :wave:

I gotta agree with everyone else who recommends you wait a few more months (maybe April/May) and what things look like than ...assuming the hardware manufacturers have met their dates. If that laptop is driving you nuts and you just can't wait that long we will help you figure something out that fits your needs. If you do buy now it looks like ebuyer has better prices right now than your uk amazon. I wouldn't go 2600k as your tasks don't need hyperthreading and a 2500k will more than meet your needs. Though I still think it is best to wait. :)

Much appreciated

Personally I don't care for using a 1920x1080 big screen TV. The pixels are too big unless you sit far away from it. Some people don't mind it though.

Okay all these people suggesting you wait, I understand the reasoning but there is not going to be that much gained by waiting as far as the new tech. The real reason to wait is for the prices to fall but even then I am not so sure. Ivybridge will be a nice chip I am sure but talking to people at Intel I am left with the impression that it is not going to be anything spectacular over Sandybridge besides the graphics. I doubt there will be any kind of impressive performance bump over the exiting lineup. The next generation video cards are great to wait for but if the 7970 is any indication of what we will see then the current lineup is still just fine.

Based on your own information I would say look at a 2500K since you seem to want to explore overclocking. It has very solid base performance and can overclock for a nice punch with very easy overclocking options. With RTS and RPG play the video card is important but the CPU plays a heavier role than it does in FPS play. The current lineup of Intel processors give a nice bump over AMD processors in these kinds of games, usually as much at 15% or more.

For video cards you do want a solid card but it seems from what I am reading that your gaming will be single monitor while you might want a second monitor for productivity. Dual monitors lean heavily toward the "flex"ability of AMD cards and with a 6870 or 6950 you should easily meet your needs. For gaming however I am really leaning toward nVidia right now purely due to driver support for gaming., a 560ti or 560ti 448 would give you the horsepower you need.

I would look at some of the cache SSD systems or even use the features of the Z68 board to accomplish the same thing. Buy a solid 60 gig SSD and then a good HD for the actual storage and you should be good. A larger SDSD is the way I would personally go but the caching system on the Z68 gives solid performance and while not as fast as a pure SSD solition it is much better than a straight HD and a good price bridge point.

If you decide not to wait then you can build a great system right now and get a good long life out of it waiting for the next tech cycle.