Car model directory?

SpeedCrazy

Not really the forum for this but i was wondering if anyone knew of a good directory of car/truck models going back a ways, their years, specs, etc?

I am looking to pick up a cheap(under 1k) used pickup or car sometime in the next 6 months and i have no clue where to start.

Once i know something i will prolly join some vehicle forum but i want to see whats on the market before people start throwing things at me.(figuratively, you know how it is when your a noob at something you get in over your head real quick)

Does something like im looking for exist?

If that fails are there any all round vehicle forums you would recommend?

Thanks,

Speed

P.S. Yes this is my first car so the noob statement is quite true.

Do you have an idea of what you would like or are you just gathering ideas right now?

Ideas, though if i go truck route i would need something that would standup to farm work, not hauling or towing anything heavy but just the general abuse.

Mainly just gathering ideas.

EDIT: Andrew, that link is great if you know what your looking for..... but i don't.

Edited by SpeedCrazy

Ideas, though if i go truck route i would need something that would standup to farm work, not hauling or towing anything heavy but just the general abuse.

Mainly just gathering ideas.

EDIT: Andrew, that link is great if you know what your looking for..... but i don't.

If it is going to be under $1,000, odds are you will be getting something pretty old, banged up, needing work, or all three (possibly more).

Would you want to stick with American brands like Chevy, Ford, and Dodge, or go for Japanese ones like Honda, Mitsubishi, and Subaru? Older European ones like BMW and VW could work, but I don't know for sure how cheap the older ones can go unless you get an older VW Jetta or something.

Just check whats on craigslist to get ideas of what you want. For a truck i'd say get an older 73-87 Chevy. For $1000 you could probably find one that runs good but will be beat up on the outside and rusted. And if it breaks down a 350 is about the cheapest motor to fix. If you want good gas milage though then probably better off with an older 4 cylinder truck...(Toyota, Ford Ranger, Chevy S10, Nissan, etc)

If it is going to be under $1,000, odds are you will be getting something pretty old, banged up, needing work, or all three (possibly more).

Would you want to stick with American brands like Chevy, Ford, and Dodge, or go for Japanese ones like Honda, Mitsubishi, and Subaru? Older European ones like BMW and VW could work, but I don't know for sure how cheap the older ones can go unless you get an older VW Jetta or something.

That's fine, i am not looking for a cruise-round-town-ride. American brands would be better but really at the price i am looking for i can't be choosy.

Just check whats on craigslist to get ideas of what you want. For a truck i'd say get an older 73-87 Chevy. For $1000 you could probably find one that runs good but will be beat up on the outside and rusted. And if it breaks down a 350 is about the cheapest motor to fix. If you want good gas mileage though then probably better off with an older 4 cylinder truck...(Toyota, Ford Ranger, Chevy S10, Nissan, etc)

How radically does the the 350s gas mileage differ from the others you suggested? If its cheaper to fix that's probably a bonus.

Craigslist and your done.

I need to get an idea of whats out there and whats good and whats bad before i jump on a purchase. Plus i won't be buying for a couple of months yet so craigslist is not ideal.

How radically does the the 350s gas mileage differ from the others you suggested? If its cheaper to fix that's probably a bonus.

Probably around 10-13. The 4 bangers will probably get 15-20+.

In the 1000 range just go threw your local buy and sell , get one of your buds that's a back yard mechanic to check it out , in this range nobody can recommend any one type of vechile because there's not much left out there in that price range. If you buy foreign parts will cost a fortune, even used. Try to stick with american made.