What Needs to Be Cooled and What Doesn't

NikoDG

39 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these should have dedicated cooling solutions (water blocks/heatsinks) in a highly overclocked rig?

• CPU
    • GPU
    • Chipset
    • RAM
    • HDD
    • Mosfet / Volt Reg

For Some extreme ocing CPU and gpu are no brainers, I also prefer to do the mofsets as cooler mofsets operate more efficently and put out cleaner more stable voltage helping you to oc higher, then the chipset, as far as ram goes make or buy a clip mount and put some quiet fans on them, and make sure you some airflow through case to get rid of heat coming off the ram and other board components the HDD I have never seen a cooler that was worth the money versus just sitting the dead center behind one of the intake fans, with increasing the dead spot in the fan to much.

If you want to insane stupefying cooling you could always buy a liquid nitrogen generator for the cost of a server room and just submerge the entire thing short of the hard drive I don't think they operate at temperatures that low if I remember correctly.

example of a ln generator http://www.elan2.com/

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still don't see why you want to use those parts. :lol:

also I read an article on the inter cpu links on sb-e. Its much faster than even Pcie 3 lanes connection, and won't be an issue with bogging down with the data, cause each sb-e has dual interconnects, and with the sr3 both are used between CPUs, resulting in a double speed link

Edited by Muchoman1

tho i'm not pushing my rig to the extremes, seeing my CPU;GPU;Chipset nice and cool will made it's stay much longer just what i simply thought.

dont know if should waste time/money with the Mosfet/Volt reg :rolleyes:

Most motherboard water block sets have a chipset and mosfet waterblock, and the mosfet tends to run extremely hit, so I wouldn't call it a waste :lol:

didnt knew that tbh, and that should be my next project when 'boredom' hits ;):evilgrin:

will think how to make it better on air either then stock.

Well or air cooling the mofsets see if you can find one of these thermalright's that will fit and strap a fan to for even more cooling power most of them will fit a single 40mm and this one could even hold two. You could also use this enzotech though I think the thermal solution if far better.

Edited by spectrascope

Well or air cooling the mofsets see if you can find one of these thermalright's that will fit and strap a fan to for even more cooling power most of them will fit a single 40mm and this one could even hold two. You could also use this enzotech though I think the thermal solution if far better.

hmmm.... i guess those HSs from thermalright looks/works much better then my stock's.

needless to tell; i just resolved my NB temp issue(did some mods with it) and i left that mosfet untouched :doh: ... like i mentioned that idk much about it since.

and i have no idea how's my temps going with those atm. and i'm hoping everything's going fine somehow but for sure if i can find the thermalright here..... 'my Mosfets you're next! :evilgrin:

thanks for the links scope! :thumbsup: