Hard Drive Prices - WAT?

tkrow21

He even flat out told me that the hard drive companies are overcharging even though the market does allow for price increase.

The market allows for the increase and the companies need capital to rebuild essentially their entire manufacturing sector. I see nothing wrong with that at all and just because your professor says they prices should be lower doesn't mean they should be.

Edited by Waco

The market allows for the increase and the companies need capital to rebuilt essentially their entire manufacturing sector. I see nothing wrong with that at all and just because your professor says they prices should be lower doesn't mean they should be.

We compensated for everything. The rebuilding of the manufacturing sector, supply and demand, shipping cost, production costs, earning potential of the company. Everything. We found that there was a 20 dollar increase in profit. Like what the CEOs put in their pocket profit, then what it was before the price increase. Now that doesn't mean that is the real amount, but to me that is just wrong. I hate it when greedy people get more than what they deserve, and to me when WD asked the IT community for its patience, I would assume they would do what they can to lower the prices of the drive, not give themselves a bonus. That is corporate greed, and I as a human being can not tolerate it. Plain and simple.

Well I got news for you. I just went to the department head at the college of my college for economics of which I have taken his economics courses before, and presented him only the numbers that have come straight from the WD and Seagate websites and he figured that the prices should have been about 20% lower than they are. I am telling you guys you don't have all the numbers to write it off as supply and demand.

He even flat out told me that the hard drive companies are overcharging even though the market does allow for price increase.

.........wait. You guys do understand that I agree the prices should have gone up drastically, just not to this extent and for this long right? I am simply concerned the company is taking advantage of the consumer. It is not like I am questioning why the hard drive precises rose. I just want to make sure, especially since that would explain why there is such a massive devide in our arguments.

What was this professors name and what college was it?

If you don't like the high prices, then wait for them to come down. That is what I am doing.

We compensated for everything. The rebuilding of the manufacturing sector, supply and demand, shipping cost, production costs, earning potential of the company. Everything.

You don't know the exact costs for everything nor do you know the exact contracts in place, production costs, etc. A margin of error that tiny means either your professor knows more than everyone else in the world about economics or he just thinks he does. :teehee:

Are we done with this completely pointless side-argument yet? Prices are high because the market will tolerate them. I absolutely do not understand the notion that people are making "too much money" and should lower prices. That's lunacy. You can be damn sure if I was in charge of WD, and I had the authority to set prices wherever, I would put them exactly at the point that continued to get my company a profit even though supply is far outstripped by demand. The higher prices keep people from buying as many drive, which in turn keeps the supply around longer. IT MAKES SENSE. I don't understand the hate here.

Edited by Waco

Listen Angel, just go to Fry's and try to buy more than 1 hdd! You would think if WD was just trying to rape you, that you would be able to buy as many hdds at these prices as you want. But, you can't, you can only buy 1 per customer. Again, that's called Supply and Demand - supply goes down drastically, demand and prices go up drastically. If a real college professor told you that this was inaccurate, or if you or a real college professor thinks that they can account for every aspect of a company's financing, manufacturing, and distribution, that you do not own or run, then you both are out of your mind.

Again take a college level Econ class and don't fabricate college professors out of thin air. Because I would think every Econ prof out there understands this very basic Econ fundamental

I'm confused, is it impossible for WD to lie or something? This is the thing I really don't understand with what's being said, you guys talk about it like WD couldn't possibly be capable of lying about anything ever. I'm not saying they are lying, just that there isn't anything to suggest they can't, as you would imply.

I'm confused, is it impossible for WD to lie or something? This is the thing I really don't understand with what's being said, you guys talk about it like WD couldn't possibly be capable of lying about anything ever.

Of course not - but what would they be lying about? Profits? Costs of rebuilding? Stock of HDDs? There's absolutely no reason to believe they'd lie about any of those things (unless, of course, you assume they are an evil corporation "making too much money" :lol:).

Of course not - but what would they be lying about? Profits? Costs of rebuilding? Stock of HDDs? There's absolutely no reason to believe they'd lie about any of those things (unless, of course, you assume they are an evil corporation "making too much money" :lol:).

Well sure, why wouldn't they lie about those things? I mean if they do they can just drag out these high prices for as long as they like without looking greedy. They get the money and keep up a good reputation.

Edit: Like I said, I'm not accusing them of lying, in fact, I don't think they are. I think they're still in the process of repairing things and we're going to have to be patient with them.

I suppose what I'm wondering is what you're doing? I mean do you have something to gain from this? Is WD paying you to protect their name? Maybe it's just a classic case of...

duty_calls.png

I don't know, that's pretty much why I'm asking, I don't understand but I want to.

Edited by Deathmineral

I just love how WD is getting ALL the hate when they were the ones actually hit by the flood and other manufacturers weren't. No hate for Seagate and they were on top of the hill. :rofl:

When the other manufacturers decide to be competitive again it will force WD to lower prices. Right now a 2TB WD Green is $115. The comparable Seagate drive is $130. Some of the other price points, 500GB, 1TB (Blue vs Barracuda) WD is hanging in at $5 more. So they are competing with companies who didn't have the same hit to their factory line.

Not only is basic economics not being grasped, the wrong person in the line up is getting pinned for the crime. Keep diming ppl out, it's fun watching. :P

I just love how WD is getting ALL the hate when they were the ones actually hit by the flood and other manufacturers weren't. No hate for Seagate and they were on top of the hill. :rofl:

Are you under the impression that WD is the only company hit by the flood? :unsure: