Building cheap put moderate gaming rig

BonTenshi

Ok as I'm not new to building rigs nor the hardware involved in doing so, the main reason i am creating this thread is because as i grow older the less time i have to spend researching hardware and even new rigs. So a friends asked me to put together a rig for him that would be capable of running skyrim at moderate levels and able to run future games if even not on high or normal settings.

Unfortunately the hard part comes in at he only wants to spend 450$ max. He doesn't wish to go over that price unless reason for doing so is dramatic.

He already has a cd burner/reader and a monitor, his case is garbage and is 8 years old so we won't be able to use it. He has an old HD so he wont need a very big new one. Besides that he needs everything new.

This is what i have scrapped together in just a few hours, I am aware at some of the hardware not being the best but as this was in a rush, that is why I'm creating this thread to get feedback.

Case- Rosewill Blackbone Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 40$

PSU- hec Orion XPOWER585 585W ATX12V 2.01 Power Supply 25$

CPU- AMD Phenom II X4 830 Deneb 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor HDX830WFK4DGM 90$

MB- BIOSTAR A780L3B AM3 AMD 760G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard 50$

RAM- G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9S-4GBRL 23$

HD- Western Digital Caviar SE WD2500JB 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA100 / ATA-6 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive 53$

GPU- HIS H685FN1GD Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity 145$

Total- 426$

As for only using newegg i really don't have a preference for sites being used but fry's is out of the question. Also this is for America so no international sites or shipping please.

Also the old HD he is using will have windows xp on it so if some money can be saved and still wind up with a rig capable of what he needs to buy a better operating system that would be for the best.

Now my main points of concern are lying with the MB and PSU, i realize due to the budget some things needed to be cut back on and i did it in the two places you really shouldn't do it in, but based on the reviews i saw on newegg for the products and again due to time restraints i thought them rather capable.

I would like to buy the parts by the end of the week at the latest but i am willing to wait to get an even better deal and so that the rig will be scrutinized by other enthusiasts. Feedback will be appreciated.

Ok as I'm not new to building rigs nor the hardware involved in doing so, the main reason i am creating this thread is because as i grow older the less time i have to spend researching hardware and even new rigs. So a friends asked me to put together a rig for him that would be capable of running skyrim at moderate levels and able to run future games if even not on high or normal settings.

Unfortunately the hard part comes in at he only wants to spend 450$ max. He doesn't wish to go over that price unless reason for doing so is dramatic.

He already has a cd burner/reader and a monitor, his case is garbage and is 8 years old so we won't be able to use it. He has an old HD so he wont need a very big new one. Besides that he needs everything new.

This is what i have scrapped together in just a few hours, I am aware at some of the hardware not being the best but as this was in a rush, that is why I'm creating this thread to get feedback.

Case- Rosewill Blackbone Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 40$

PSU- hec Orion XPOWER585 585W ATX12V 2.01 Power Supply 25$

CPU- AMD Phenom II X4 830 Deneb 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor HDX830WFK4DGM 90$

MB- BIOSTAR A780L3B AM3 AMD 760G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard 50$

RAM- G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9S-4GBRL 23$

HD- Western Digital Caviar SE WD2500JB 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA100 / ATA-6 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive 53$

GPU- HIS H685FN1GD Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity 145$

That mb will not support ide drives, just sata.

The Biostar A780L3G supports ide and floopy if you need it, just used it on wife's build seems not bad.

Edited by SpikeSoprano

Case

Motherboard

CPU

RAM

GPU

HDD

PSU

$495 shipped with free trial free shipping, promo codes and $45 in rebates = $450

There is even a shell shocker deal in there :P

+1 for this build. :thumbsup:

Though, I don't really see the difference between the i3 and Phenom x4 when it comes to gaming, especially since with a 6870, most games would rely on the GPU more and the difference isn't really that noticeable.

Edited by Ray Ian

Case

Motherboard

CPU

RAM

GPU

HDD

PSU

$495 shipped with free trial free shipping, promo codes and $45 in rebates = $450

There is even a shell shocker deal in there :P

This is a nice rig and it influenced my choices in my next time around.

This is what i have now.

Case $20

HD $50

GPU $140

PSU $28

RAM $20

MB $40

CPU $125

Total- $423

As i was trying to cut back on money and i succeeded in doing so i took a look at your post then started spending money again so now I'm at 4$ more than the start when i was at 20$ less. Let me know what you think now.(no longer applies)

Also the PSU is the only place i can find to keep this rig as cheap as it is so their is a very low chance i will be changing it.

Edited by BonTenshi

the person i am building this for has given me the set amount of $450 and he won't be using the mail in rebates. I know i am cutting a little on the PSU but the one i have selected now is honestly more than capable to do its job.