Overclocking the GTX 460M on the ASUS G53S

El_Capitan

Well, I finally got around to overclocking my gaming laptop. I only use it for gaming when away on vacation.

I used Unigine Heaven v2.1 default settings fullscreen (normally I'd set Anisotropy to 16 an Anti-Aliasing to 8x, but no way I'd get playable frame rates at those settings in games). I didn't add voltage unlocking, so it's all on stock voltages. Load temp difference was 4C (82C to 86C), which isn't too bad. If I apply better TIM and use a laptop cooler, I could get those temps lower, but they're fine as it is.

Stock at 675MHz Core Clock:

post-70939-0-00221200-1324939605_thumb.png

Overclocked to 815MHz Core Clock:

post-70939-0-25210100-1324939649_thumb.png

Aside from benchmarks, I'm noticing smoother gameplay. I hardly notice that I'm playing on a laptop at all, aside from there being no AA (or it being at least 2x AA). A major difference is Minimum FPS.

Someone should try it with the GMA 3000 GPU. :P

Maybe when I get bored and my eyesight is 100%, I'll put some new TIM on it and measure the temp differences, and also the temp differences using a laptop cooler. I used a wooden table with a tablecloth when I was testing, so it probably isn't the best for getting good temps on a laptop.

What do you use to tell you to stop increasing the frequency? I use the benchmark score and stop when the increase drops or is negligible.

When I see the Min FPS drop below the previous overclock results or if the benchmark crashes.