7970 info leak

Muchoman1

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Usually the non-ref PCBs start popping up shortly after the release, same as the water blocks. I love how most people talking about the 3GB of VRAM are probably gaming at 1920x1080 :rolleyes: But, I am not really one to talk, since I have 6970s CF and I mostly play L4D2 :doh:

Usually the non-ref PCBs start popping up shortly after the release, same as the water blocks. I love how most people talking about the 3GB of VRAM are probably gaming at 1920x1080 :rolleyes: But, I am not really one to talk, since I have 6970s CF and I mostly play L4D2 :doh:

I don't understand the hate for a lot of VRAM at lower resolutions - textures eat up RAM like nobodies business and if you don't have enough, games become unplayable very quickly.

Yes, you need more at higher resolutions, but for higher quality levels, you need more RAM too. Skyrim, for example, sits right under 1 GB of texture memory with everything maxed out. I imagine I'd see a lot more stuttering if I added a texture mod that bumped that to well over 1 GB.

EDIT: ATI would make me a very happy man if they figured out how to share memory between the two GPUs on my 4870X2s. Sideport is there, dammit, let me use it!!!

Edited by Waco

I don't understand the hate for a lot of VRAM at lower resolutions - textures eat up RAM like nobodies business and if you don't have enough, games become unplayable very quickly.

Yes, you need more at higher resolutions, but for higher quality levels, you need more RAM too. Skyrim, for example, sits right under 1 GB of texture memory with everything maxed out. I imagine I'd see a lot more stuttering if I added a texture mod that bumped that to well over 1 GB.

+1, in Crysis 2 on my 3GB 580, I've gotten 2200MB VRAM usage with Ultra DX11 Texture packages installed.

I'm not hating on more VRAM, just saying that a higher res than 1080 is where it will really be utilized and "felt"

edit: I completely agree with the shared mem though! Would be nice if the 2GB on my 6970's played nice together that way!

I'm not hating on more VRAM, just saying that a higher res than 1080 is where it will really be utilized and "felt"

edit: I completely agree with the shared mem though! Would be nice if the 2GB on my 6970's played nice together that way!

just imagine shared mem on quad 7970s, 12GB OF VRAM

I was referring specifically to dual gpu cards that already have an interconnect between the gpus. Trying to do texture memory sharing over the pcie bus would be slooooooooooooooooooow. :lol:

I was referring specifically to dual gpu cards that already have an interconnect between the gpus. Trying to do texture memory sharing over the pcie bus would be slooooooooooooooooooow. :lol:

i guess...

but i wonder what treasures the 7990 will hold, but i will probably go the 7970s