5770 Crossfirex

acpowell

Ok so I have an XFX 5770 Grafics card and someone gave me a HIS 5770 to play with for a while. I installed it and enabled crossfire. Now on to the reason I am writing.

Either somthing is wrong or I don't know what I am doing (I am sure it is the later). When I look at CCC it tells me that my primary card (which I am assuming is the XFX because that is what my monitor is plugged into) is running at all normal speeds. When I look at the HIS card it says it is way underclocked. Like in the 100s verses the 800s that my XFX is at (number might not be 100% accurate as I am not on that machine at the moment).

So am I doing somthing wrong or is that how it looks when it is setup for crossfirex? I am using the latest drivers from ATI. I had thought about moving the sliders up but I don't want to break anything especially since this isn't my card I am toying with.

Any help would be apprechiated.

When you aren't doing anything intensive, the card will overclock themselves to save on power consumption and minimize the heat. See if the clock speeds go back to normal when playing a game or something

I didn't think they would do that if I had cool and quiet shut off. but I will give it a try. Hard to do when playing a full screen game though.

I have attached a Screen shot of both cards. This is while idle. The left is the XFX (primary) and the right is the HIS (crossfired). Maybe because it is not being used it is sitting there with nothing going on? I am totally confused.

post-74744-0-65941200-1323116693_thumb.jpg

I have attached a Screen shot of both cards. This is while idle. The left is the XFX (primary) and the right is the HIS (crossfired). Maybe because it is not being used it is sitting there with nothing going on? I am totally confused.

Run a bench like furmark and check the speeds. 5770's do underclock themselves when they aren't doing much. Even your main card will, you can check this with GPU-Z.

You want these cards to do this, it's not like a processor that suddenly has to speed up when you need it to perform. GPU's usually are either going full 100% or 1% and it's not like your games are going to be enough for them to underclock it no matter how old. I believe any 3d rendering will make a card run at 100%.So unless you are playing old school 2d games you're fine.

BTW you do need to enable Crossfire in catylist before it will work.

You don't have to worry about overclocking them too much too. ANY 5770 will do 875 and almost all will do 900mhz with stock volts. I suggest moving the sliders to 875 to see if it bumps up the second GPU speed.

Edited by GabrielTessin

BTW you do need to enable Crossfire in catylist before it will work.

You don't have to worry about overclocking them too much too. ANY 5770 will do 875 and almost all will do 900mhz with stock volts. I suggest moving the sliders to 875 to see if it bumps up the second GPU speed.

I do have crossfirex enabled. I did some playing arround with FFXIV (which I know sucks for crossfirex/SLI) and was hoping to get more out of it, but with RadeonPro and everything I could read about it never got more than 23-30 FPS even though it supports up to 60 FPS. So I was thinking it was my cards or my config. I did however run HL2 and I got 70 FPS so I supose it is working.

Maybe I am just trying ot squeez more out of somthing that just isn't going to happen. Sounds like I am better of giving the 5770 back and spending $150 on a better card that will as good or better than 2 5770s with out crossfirex.

I think he is just saying it's fully playable. It is probably higher thou.

Nope, MSI Afterburner says 70 FPS. I am telling you I think I have something all jacked up, it may also be because I do not have a legitimate copy of HL2.

Nope, MSI Afterburner says 70 FPS. I am telling you I think I have something all jacked up, it may also be because I do not have a legitimate copy of HL2.

Ok quick ceck list.

Are you using the XFire bridge? Do you have power cables to both cards? Does your motherboard support crossfire? Have you tried moving the top card to the bottom cards slot and vise versa?