Build computer speakers car audio equipment.

GabrielT

So awhile ago I wanted to buy new computer speakers but didn't want to spend a lot of money on some very powerful but good sounding speakers. After trying to think of ways to get a relatively cheap system together I realized I had a really good sounding system in my first car that was parked at my parents house. After pulling out the Pioneer Super Tuner III D head unit and went and pulled my no name after market 6x9 4 way speakers out. It didn't take long for me to realized that 3 years of abuse plus 3 years of being in a rather damp car had left them useless.

What I then did was go to every car audio shop in town in search of new speakers.

The new speakers only had a few requirements:

They had to be Coaxial Speakers for ease of installation.

They had to sound very good.

Good sound without an amp.

And they needed to be affordable.

After annoying every speaker shop in town I went back home and ordered a pair of JVC DRVN-Series 3 way 6x9 speakers off of amazon for $38 shipped (in town they were $90). They have a peak power of 310 watts per speaker with an RMS rating of 60 watts.

Wiring up the head unit was farily straight forward. Yellow and red cable to the yellow molex cable and ground to the molex ground on my power supple.

For the speaker wires were connected together left channel front to left channel rear and the same for the right speaker. This be able to give each speaker 100 watts peak and 44watts constant power.

I mounted them in a set of speakers boxes I picked up at walmart.

I might add a sub later but I wan't to use an active subwoofer so I don't have to power it with my power supply.

This is the fine product cell phone pics and all.

0042.jpg

0072.jpg

0012.jpg

0032.jpg

0022.jpg

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

FYI - you'll probably burn up that headunit tying the front and rear channels together...

Good to know, can you tell me why?

Edit: Now bare with me because I don't have an electrical engineering degree or any real knowledge other than what I learned when I was a youngin and I received an electrical experimentation kit from my grandpa (great present right?).

Is it because the head unit will have trouble running a set of 4ohm speakers because that would mean they are only delivering 2 ohms per channel, or am I confused? They are still divided left to right if I forgot to mention that.

Edited by GabrielTessin

The front and rear amplifiers are actually separate - so when you tie the outputs together they tend to fight each other even when driving the same signal. I was warned many a time to never do this and the only headunit I tried it on would shut down at high volume levels. :P

The front and rear amplifiers are actually separate - so when you tie the outputs together they tend to fight each other even when driving the same signal. I was warned many a time to never do this and the only headunit I tried it on would shut down at high volume levels. :P

Well this doesn't seem to be occurring with my setup but I noticed the head unit is getting rather hot to the touch at the back. It always used to get hot in my car hooked up to 4 speakers but I could never actually touch the back part until now.

I will use only one channel to see if it makes a difference in heat, if it sound better I will keep it that way even if it is still getting hot. I can find a case fan laying around if need be.

Edit: Also the imput is just the aux imput at the front of the unit, a headphone cable. These only have a Left/Right channel setup so wouldn't the amps be working together perfectly as long as the fade to front or back wasn't adjusted?

Edited by GabrielTessin

Well this doesn't seem to be occurring with my setup but I noticed the head unit is getting rather hot to the touch at the back.

Imagine it baking inside your car dash - open air is probably the best environment it will ever see. :P

i'd rather stick with the proper speaker connections, OP i guess you might be thinking to "bi-amp,bi-wire" your speakers?

nobody does it with head units alone, single/multiple power amps setups will do it but with a different approach/connections.

you are pushing your system into trouble, yes heat is normal but how hot it is to the touch? your head unit's amp is at struggle there for sure.

let's wait for Stonerboy's comment on this.

I re wired it, front left to left rear right to right. I figured doing this would be easier on the amps than one channel driving two speakers. It doesn't seem to be running nearly as hot as before either. Sound seems a little clearer too. Lesson learned I guess.

Kinda sad that I can't claim 88 watts rms now but it seems to be the same volume as before when you turn the knob. Is there any chance that because the front and back channels use different amps they can provide more power to two speakers than the standard 4 speakers?

Edited by GabrielTessin

I re wired it, front left to left rear right to right. I figured doing this would be easier on the amps than one channel driving two speakers. It doesn't seem to be running nearly as hot as before either. Sound seems a little clearer too. Lesson learned I guess.

Kinda sad that I can't claim 88 watts rms now but it seems to be the same volume as before when you turn the knob. Is there any chance that because the front and back channels use different amps they can provide more power to two speakers than the standard 4 speakers?

That's probably your best approach for clean sound. At most you're going to get ~17 watts RMS per channel out of the amp with 12 volt input. Don't underestimate just how loud that can get. :P

That's probably your best approach for clean sound. At most you're going to get ~17 watts RMS per channel out of the amp with 12 volt input. Don't underestimate just how loud that can get. :P

Actually it is VERY loud, neighbor angering loud. And I am very close to the speakers too.