AMD phenom x4 II 965 BE @ 4ghz can it do more?

MDMAkrieg

hey first time posting here

iam just wondering can i get more out of this chip?

this has been running stable 24/7 for about a month now (playing BF 3 @ maxed settings)

this is my 1st time overclocking so some tips would be welcome :D

PC specs:

AMD phenom x4 II 965 BE, CPU

Antec kuhler h2o 620, CPU cooling

ASUS HD 6950 directCU II @ 900/1200, GPU

8GB of GEIL value plus @ 1600 i think, RAM

2x 500g seagate barracuda 7200, Hdd

Corsair TX650, PSU

ASUS M4A77T, Mobo

runs 27-29c idle

cpuoc1.png

Edited by MDMAkrieg

You are starting to push your limit on that chip. You might get another 200 MHz or so out of it but that is about it for a functional overclock. What I mean by functional is one where you can actually make daily use of the computer. If you want a bit of extra cooling then put a second fan on the 620 to give it a push pull configuration and maybe drop a few degrees under load.

I would say sit back and enjoy the gaming experience right now and not push any further, you have a good solid overclock, enjoy.

Edited by ComputerEd

You are starting to push your limit on that chip. You might get another 200 MHz or so out of it but that is about it for a functional overclock. What I mean by functional is one where you can actually make daily use of the computer. If you want a bit of extra cooling then put a second fan on the 620 to give it a push pull configuration and maybe drop a few degrees under load.

I would say sit back and enjoy the gaming experience right now and not push any further, you have a good solid overclock, enjoy.

It depends on the stepping Ed. Some new 955/965's overclock as well as 970/980's and get into the 4,4-4.5GHz range. I was shocked when I chatted with a few guys rtthat got 4.4GHz+ stable on 955's.

It depends on the stepping Ed. Some new 955/965's overclock as well as 970/980's and get into the 4,4-4.5GHz range. I was shocked when I chatted with a few guys rtthat got 4.4GHz+ stable on 955's.

I think he was saying that the OP doesn't really need to increase the clock speeds anymore, not that he couldn't increase them more.