2500k OC on Asus P8P67

Uniwarking

Hello all. I'm looking for advice on my overclock. System specs and BIOS/OC details below:

i5 2500k /w Cooler Master Hyper 212+

Auss P8P67 (Rev 3.1)

Corsair Vengeance 8GM DDR3 1600

EVGA GTX 580 Superclocked

HD - Crucial M4 128GB SSD & 750GB WD Caviar Black

Corsair Pro Series HX850

Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced

Win 7 Home Premium

BIOS Settings:

4.5GHz

AI Tweaker

AI Overclock Tuner Manual

BCLK 100

Turbo Ratio By all cores

Internal PLL Overvoltage Enabled

Memory Frequency DDR3-1600

Load Line Calibration Extreme

VRM Frequency Auto

Phase Control Extreme

Duty Control Extreme

CPU Current Capability 100%

CPU Voltage Manual Mode

CPU Manual Voltage 1.35

DRAM Voltage 1.5

VCCSA Voltage 1

VCCIO Voltage 1.125

CPU PLL Voltage 1.75

PCH Voltage Auto

CPU Spread Spectrum Disabled

Advanced Tab

CPU Ratio Auto

Intel Thermal Monitor Enabled

Active Processor Cores All

Limit CPUID Max Disabled

Execute Disabled Bit Enabled

Intel Virtualization Disabled

Speedstep Enabled

Turbo Mode Enabled

CPU C1E Disabled

CPU C3 Report Disabled

CPU C6 Report Disabled

6d19c102_4.5GHzStable12hrs3.5vcore.png

Is it stable to 4.50 ghz or are you having issues?? If it is stable then start moving the multiplier up one at a time and running prime 95 blend for an hour. Repeat that proceedure until you are unstable. When unstable try tickling the voltage up a notch or two and rerun the stability test. If not try setting it up again. If that does not work give the vcc voltages an adjust or the PLl slightly up. Just don't get too carried away with the pll. That chip does not like to much of that.

Is it stable to 4.50 ghz or are you having issues?? If it is stable then start moving the multiplier up one at a time and running prime 95 blend for an hour. Repeat that proceedure until you are unstable. When unstable try tickling the voltage up a notch or two and rerun the stability test. If not try setting it up again. If that does not work give the vcc voltages an adjust or the PLl slightly up. Just don't get too carried away with the pll. That chip does not like to much of that.

My system is stable in Prime95 for 12+ hour runs at it's current state. I'm currently using a hyper 212+ and getting as hot as 75c on those long Prime blend runs... I plan to upgrade my cooler (not quite sure what yet, thinking the Corsair H100) before I go too much further.

I previously had the multi at 46 with 1.35 vcore and I started running into trouble in Prime after a few hours (one core would fail). I have not run at 46 since I bumped my VCCIO voltage from 1.1v to 1.125v... may try that again (1.1v was recommended for 4GB of RAM in a youtube guide and I'm running 8GB of RAM).

Edited by Uniwarking

Just remember as you up the clock speed all of the chip will need help to keep up. Keep in mind that guide will help you along with an upgrade to cooling. The sooner you get it the better as it seems the i7 2000 series chips tend to overclock at best while lower then 70c. Though that's a tough temp to hit on Even full custom liquid cooling the h100 will help you get there. Good luck and cheers. Lets see some benches and stability tests at 5ghz.

1.1v was recommended for 4GB of RAM in a youtube guide and I'm running 8GB of RAM

uhm the AMOUNT of memory has nothing to say regarding VCCIO voltage.. the SPEED of the memory has.. for example I am running 2133MHz memory and that requires a VCCIO voltage of 1.12-1.14

At 1333MHz it should be 1.05v

I don't know for 1600MHz but probably somewhere in between

uhm the AMOUNT of memory has nothing to say regarding VCCIO voltage.. the SPEED of the memory has.. for example I am running 2133MHz memory and that requires a VCCIO voltage of 1.12-1.14

At 1333MHz it should be 1.05v

I don't know for 1600MHz but probably somewhere in between

Thanks, nice to hear reasoning behind suggestions. I've just got it set to auto right now, working like a champ. I just need to find a better cooler. My Hyper 212+ makes some really annoying vibrations/noises when speeding up and running at high... going to return it and get something else.

Just remember as you up the clock speed all of the chip will need help to keep up. Keep in mind that guide will help you along with an upgrade to cooling. The sooner you get it the better as it seems the i7 2000 series chips tend to overclock at best while lower then 70c. Though that's a tough temp to hit on Even full custom liquid cooling the h100 will help you get there. Good luck and cheers. Lets see some benches and stability tests at 5ghz.

Thanks!

See my sig, I've done some OC'ing with your setup.

One tip I can give you is to test stability with more than Prime 95. Use OCCT (1 hr test), and LinX (Intel Burn Test) for at least an hour. This will also give you good temperature tests to ensure your cooling is sufficient.

Otherwise, the OC is pretty straightforward. Up your multiplier until you can't go any higher (errors or crashes), then up your voltage a bit. Keep upping the voltage till you don't get errors or crashes. Then up the multiplier again.

When you get to the point where your temperatures are too high, you can't up your voltage any higher. That means you are limited to whatever multiplier that is stable at that voltage. Pretty much the ceiling on your OC. I was able to get mine to 4.9 GHz, but after that the voltage required to push further were causing unsustainable temps. I keep it at 4.5 GHz now.